Thoughts on New Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brettshomestead, May 30, 2017.

1. brettshomestead

brettshomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2016
    Central oklahoma
    Hey everyone just built a new coop a few days ago, and I was wondering if I could get some feed back on improvements. For reference I live in central oklahoma and the winters are fairly mild. I'm planning on cutting down some black locus trees to use as roosts and build egg boxes soon.

Attached Files:

2. ChickEchick

ChickEchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Having just had to reinforce my coop because of Racoons - I would say you need to go over the front and side screened sections with wire cloth...... what you have but with much smaller squares.

AND As it sits - anything could dig under it - some options for this..

1) take some wire cloth and slide under the coop - leaving several inches on the outside as to deter digging.
    2) dig a trench several inches deep all the way around the structure and slide the wire cloth straight down in the trench
    3) make a "skirt" of wire cloth all the way around the coop.

Love the look of it - Congratulations on building such a great coop! Your Chickens will be very happy!

brettshomestead likes this.
  3. brettshomestead

Nov 27, 2016
    Central oklahoma
    Thanks! The metal extends about 5inches into the ground already, but I do need to reinforce the front for sure. Thanks for the input :)

4. ChickEchick

ChickEchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2016
    Solid metal 5 inches down - should take care any critter concerns on those sides for sure!!

5. Rooster one

Rooster one Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2017
    Hartfield, Virginia
    A lot of people ill also put down fencing around the coop and outside of the run. Most will place it just under the grass and out to about 1/12 feet.

6. brettshomestead

Nov 27, 2016
    Central oklahoma
    Not a bad idea, if I end up having digging problems I might have to try that. I'm putting electric fencing around it to keep things like pigs, and goats as well.

7. Rooster one

Rooster one Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2017
    Hartfield, Virginia
    The fencing will surely work on animals that dig because they will not go out that far so usually they will just leave.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by