Thoughts on Purina feeds?

I'm still interested with what people are doing with there feed that there chickens refuse to eat. Do you keep it till it's rancid? Do you compost it? Do you give it to someone? Do you try to return it to the store?
It's only happened to me once recently - got some of the cheaper stuff from chewy, at the very beginning of Covid - I had to mix it with another feed, served as wet mash in the mornings. Took forever to achieve the right ratio, had to keep backing off the yucky stuff, adding more of the good stuff... I think I even added a little scratch there towards the end! But I did get a refund, so all's well that ends well, I suppose.

I just bought my first bag of flock raiser since TSC was out of Dumor 20%. When I opened it, I noticed there is ALOT of dust. maybe 1/4 of it is just... feed dust. I'm going to ferment it, so it probably won't affect me that much, but I don't think I'll be buying it again...

I just bought my first bag of flock raiser since TSC was out of Dumor 20%. When I opened it, I noticed there is ALOT of dust. maybe 1/4 of it is just... feed dust. I'm going to ferment it, so it probably won't affect me that much, but I don't think I'll be buying it again...
Did you look at the mill date?

I currently use Green Mountain Feeds for my flock and I think I will continue to, but just wanna know what people think of purina feeds. Why do you like it? Why don't you like it?
I’m on purine, they seem to really like it. I’m using a grower feed for the pullets right now so I couldn’t tell you how they feel about it right now since they aren’t on it right now- but I liked it for them and my birds really aren’t picky!

I just checked and it said 7/25/2020... is that good or bad...?

it didn’t say mill date, but it was the only date on there
Did it look like this....except 25 in place of 16?
1601557720434.png

Were your crumbles or pellets?
Summer time almost always brings grain mites to FR,
makes it dusty, even dustier after treating with DE.

I buy it within one month of milling, wouldn't buy July dating now.
It's a pain sometimes to buy fresh, but it's best, always. Stores want to move product, and sometimes can be bad about rotating stock, so always check those mill dates!
Mary
I bought that on 7-26-20...was happy.
Bought another with same date on 9-3-20.
On 8-12-20 had to settle for mill date 6-16-20.
Not always possible to get fresher...stocking is hard to balance.

I will rearrange a few bags to get freshest at the store, and also will ask an employee to check in back for fresher dating. And here it's worked out for me with Flock Raiser. If that product was too old, I'd switch to something fresh instead.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom