Thoughts on Purina feeds?

Pics

azure_

Songster
Jul 23, 2020
Western Massachusetts
I currently use Green Mountain Feeds for my flock and I think I will continue to, but just wanna know what people think of purina feeds. Why do you like it? Why don't you like it?

When I switched my birds from starter/grower to all flock, I bought a bag of purina 20% all flock. The bag was 50% dust and my girls wouldn't touch it. When I contacted purina about it, they totally ignored me. I'll never buy another purina product. The next all flock that I bought was 20% nutrena. My birds love it and better still, NO DUST.

When I switched my birds from starter/grower to all flock, I bought a bag of purina 20% all flock. The bag was 50% dust and my girls wouldn't touch it. When I contacted purina about it, they totally ignored me. I'll never buy another purina product. The next all flock that I bought was 20% nutrena. My birds love it and better still, NO DUST.
Maybe Their layer pellets are different. Thanks for the feedback

I have tried all name brands of feed and my flock is picky. They didn't like the pricier feed (which was okay with me), they ate more of the less expensive feed so I personally went with what my flock preferred, my flock didn't care about my opinion 😂 .

I'm a cheapskate and purchase whats on sale or a good deal and I have fed Purina and they do fine. Southern states is another inexpensive brand I've used and they are actually owned by the same company that owns Purina so I'm assuming with many similarities.
I do find the Purina flock raiser to be more dusty and I purchase Dumour flock raisier because of it.

I'm on my third bag of Purina Flock Raiser. It is a crumble and does have some crumbly crumbles. I save them and use them for the "wet" food. Works great. I have limited choices of non-layer or scratch foods, at my local TS and/or BR.

I would think how the bags are handled, through out their life, would impact how much of the crumbles are smashed and turned to dust. I'm not sure how a manufacturer would/could address that problem.

I use crumble, they do have some crumble that lands on the ground but my flock enjoys scratching it up and picking out the crumble from the ground. I did use pellets but the flock didn't eat as much and they were losing weight. Switching to crumble allowed them to gain their weight back.

Your best feed will depend on what's available fresh, by mill date, where you shop. Also price matters, at least to some degree.
Here I've been feeding Purina Flock Raiser for a very long time, as it's fresh where I shop, works for my chickens of whatever age and sex, and is mid-range in price.
I'd prefer a pelleted version when there aren't chicks out there, but here it only comes as a crumble, and that's okay with me. Deeper feed containers have helped with 'bill out', and there's not a lot wasted anyway.
It's certainly not the only good choice out there!
Mary

I usually use purina start and grow for my chicks, but when I ran out of my last bag I bought the cheaper one that the feed store had and they seem to prefer it. It seems to me that you don’t need to shell out all your money on the big name brands when some of the less expensive ones work just fine.

I usually use purina start and grow for my chicks, but when I ran out of my last bag I bought the cheaper one that the feed store had and they seem to prefer it. It seems to me that you don’t need to shell out all your money on the big name brands when some of the less expensive ones work just fine.
Ok @Willow2253 but the thing is that the reason I get the $28 Green Mountain Feeds layer pellets and chick starter is because it's the best chickens can have in MA. It's Organic, non-GMO, and non medicated. Maybe you can have your chickens eating GMO feeds, but I won't.

Back
Top Bottom