Thoughts on Purina feeds?

When I lived inland, my garage got over 120+ degrees easily and it didn't have to see sunlight in order to degrade food product being stored in that location more rapidly.

I don't presume anything about anyone.. but I did state that guaranteed analysis at the end of storage is not the same as spoiled or rotten.. so what I share is pertinent to the conversation and for general information purposes to anyone who might view the thread.

It's fantastic that you found something local that works for you! I love local when possible.. it just happens Purina has several mills in California.. But I'm always keeping my eye open for a better product that's still in my price range, especially if supports it my local suppliers/community. I didn't mean anything directed at you specifically though. :)

Well, I've seen some pretty crappy so called farmers who are clueless about animal welfare.. so trust my own eyes over FDA, a government entity that's heavily lobbied.. I can go with that to a degree... And note that labels have a lot of feel good messages (think "cage free"), I prefer truth that's verifiable (personal experience counts even though it may be anecdotal).. I would still like at least an original guaranteed analysis if not being worried about my storage there of. I've done a LOT of nutritional research and very little of my information is FDA related.. usually hatchery/industry (big chicken) or veterinary resourced..
I understand what you are saying. I appreciate you clearing that up. Our garage is actually insulated and air conditioned as my husband has made it into his home gym and the chicken feed just happens to be in the area that we keep our textiles.

I get it, I don’t want my feed to be degraded or rotten as much as the next guy. I have a flock of 17 so the feed goes pretty fast.
I 100% agree with you on the “feel good” labels. Cage free is not truly cage free in the sense that we think it is. Basically they can call the eggs cage free if the chickens feet actually touch the ground, but they can live in a crowded barn their entire lives never even seeing sunlight. I get it.
it’s important to do research, clearly you have and that’s commendable !

Ok @Willow2253 but the thing is that the reason I get the $28 Green Mountain Feeds layer pellets and chick starter is because it's the best chickens can have in MA. It's Organic, non-GMO, and non medicated. Maybe you can have your chickens eating GMO feeds, but I won't.
Are you in Massachusetts? If so, we have a a local option? Ventura Feed and Grain.

What was the mill date on the bag of dusty feed?
I know of many feed stores that will keep feed on their shelves till it sells, even if that is a year or two. Regardless of which company manufactures the feed, Old feed will be worthless.
There was no mill date. They've stopped putting mill dates on bags. I went to TS last week and looked for mill dates on several different brands and could find none. I even had the sales clerk look for them. He couldn't find them either.

There was no mill date. They've stopped putting mill dates on bags. I went to TS last week and looked for mill dates on several different brands and could find none. I even had the sales clerk look for them. He couldn't find them either.
By law it has to be there, along with a lot # etc. Employees are often under informed, but their feed buyer should have been able to show you.

It is usually printed across the bottom seem, on the bag somewhere, or on the tag.. depending on manufacturer. Which one is it, maybe we can help?

I've seen feed bags, especially old bags at the store, where the mill dates were printed in odd locations on the bag, and worn off or obscured somehow.
I'd never buy any livestock feed without seeing a mill date on the bag!
Open dating is best, IMO, or at least Julian dating. Coded dating, hate it, and won't bother to ask for the 'code book' to decipher something the company wants hidden.
Mary

Where in the world do you get Nutrena feed that is non GMO? I have never seen such a thing. Cargill's NaturenSmart is organic & therefore non GMO, but never heard of any other Nutrena feed that is Non GOMO.

Nutrena's "NatureSmart" product line is Organic, NonGMO. Their NatureWise (which I've used in both All Flock and FeatherFixer) is Natural, as that term is defined by AAFCO (American Association of Feed Control Officials), to whit:

" NATURAL - A feed or ingredient derived solely from plant, animal or mined sources, either in its unprocessed state or having been subjected to physical processing, heat processing, rendering, purification extraction, hydrolysis, enzymolysis or fermentation, but not having been produced by or subject to a chemically synthetic process and not containing any additives or processing aids that are chemically synthetic except in amounts as might occur unavoidably in good manufacturing practices. "

By law it has to be there, along with a lot # etc. Employees are often under informed, but their feed buyer should have been able to show you.

It is usually printed across the bottom seem, on the bag somewhere, or on the tag.. depending on manufacturer. Which one is it, maybe we can help?
The first bag of Nutrena AllFlock clearly had the date printed on the ingredient tag. The last two bags that I bought had no date at all.

Back
Top Bottom