Thoughts on Roosters??

Are roosters worth it? As far as protecting from predators...

• Yes

Votes: 103 85.8%
  • No

Votes: 17 14.2%

• Total voters
Pics
My friend's chickens just got attacked by a pack of dogs (possible feral). The chickens who went to hide behind their rooster were protected. He said that he saw the dogs come around the truck, see the rooster, and double back immediately. Only the hens running around frantically were hurt.

I wouldn't bet my money on a rooster protecting the flock. In fact, 9 times out of ten, the rooster is going to end up dead by standing up to a canid, or most predators really. The rooster's job is to keep an eye out for predators and sound warning calls way before the hens do, which gives the flock enough time to take cover

How do you all with roosters handle the over-breeding your hens, making bare-backs? Having been through this a few times with my flocks - blue kote, hen coats, etc to get them to grow back. It was stressful!

I don't worry about it much. Bare backs bother us more than the chickens.

I *know* I have too many roosters right now, but I'm working on selling some of them (I *ought* to be able to get money for Blue and Splash Australorps if I have a little patience), so that will calm down.

I've had chickens now for a few years, but never a rooster. I have a beautiful roo that I am thinking about keeping, but I'm honestly nervous that he's going to end up being aggressive and be more of a headache than he's worth. The main reason I'd keep him is to help protect against predators, but I'm not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Those that have or have had roosters, what are your thoughts on this?
I've had great roos that were not agressive, with that said they were hand raised from peeps. Unfortunately I have also purchased a roo that was supposed to be people friendly and found him to never like me . If I want another roo he will need to be raised by me from a peep or I would also give a home to one raised by a kindergarten classroom...lol class pets until the end of the school year :)

I've had chickens now for a few years, but never a rooster. I have a beautiful roo that I am thinking about keeping, but I'm honestly nervous that he's going to end up being aggressive and be more of a headache than he's worth. The main reason I'd keep him is to help protect against predators, but I'm not convinced it will make that much of a difference. Those that have or have had roosters, what are your thoughts on this?
Just give him a try! If you see anything you are unhappy with you can still get rid of him then. I dream of a roo that is nice to his hens, doesn’t create bare backs or heads on them, isn’t aggressive with people or my dog but watches well for predators. No luck so far…

We had a fabulous big white Roo with dark green tail and trim. He attacked the school bus when it stopped for our kids and the UPS truck-never a human nor pet. He kept his women safe and battled a raccoon more than once. We’d hear the “chicken alert” and would all run out with bats and golf clubs to find the hens safe, the raccoon long gone and the rooster with a bloody comb. He was awesome. Our neighbors made us rehome him. I was heartbroken. I’d say get one but be ready, if he’s mean, to send him away.

Yeah, So far, my hens have not liked any of my roosters. There was a lot of running and squawking before I got rid of my last one. They did not make the flock calmer. Since my roo was first borderline, then very aggressive with me, he got all the hens to be scared of me by sounding alarms whenever I came around. I also hate seeing my hens backs all naked, and the backs of their heads… Really, since I have a dog with them for predators, the only pros for a roo I can think of are that they are often gorgeous and I like the crowing. Other than that, we are all better off without one. My hens can find their feed and treats and their nest boxes just fine without one. Oh, and for integration of new chicks. My roo was very good about that and the little ones would seek him out. But that doesn’t make up for all the aggravation.

Every rooster except one ended up spuring the crap out of me or eating eggs. I have two young ones coming up that I hatched, and if the show any sign of aggression, pot they go. 99 percent of my experirnce says they will get aggressive.

More cocks the better.. I’ve always had several on the yard and never had an issue with aggression if you know how to adjust their attitude it only takes 1 time. They don’t fight except for when a young cock is coming up and he learns just like the one ahead of him and the one ahead of him, and so on.. it’s more like chase each other around from time to time. They split up and have their main girls they are with all day free ranging and the young roosters float around from group to group to try and steal some sugar so there are plenty of eyes working to protect all 50-60 birds in harmony.. it’s really something to see.. but many will tell you this and that and everyone’s needs and fears are different. I understand this is backyard chickens and most don’t keep but a handful of hens, and have fears from horror stories they’ve heard, but in all actuality, the world of galus galus has been this way since forever..

Back
Top Bottom