Thoughts on these for first flock?

my 2021 chickens are from Meyer too. My splash marans is the most cuddling chicken I have. She will purr when cuddling on my lap. But she is not cold hardy at all. She went downhill when our temperature became below 20°F, so I had to bring her inside. She is doing great in our basement, but acted like dying when I brought her out for a couple hours. I have a feeling that she will spend every winter in my basement. By the way, her eggs are just light brown and she is very talktive. My buff orpinton girl is the most cold hardy hen, and almost 0°F today seems not bother her at all. She still lays lots of eggs now. She is very calm, quiet, and friendly, but not a fan of cuddling. Blue ameraucana is doing good in cold too, but she doesn't lay eggs in winter and is little flighty. I don't have the other breeds, but I think they should be cold hardy.

my 2021 chickens are from Meyer too. My splash marans is the most cuddling chicken I have. She will purr when cuddling on my lap. But she is not cold hardy at all. She went downhill when our temperature became below 20°F, so I had to bring her inside. She is doing great in our basement, but acted like dying when I brought her out for a coupl hours.
Thanks for that feedback. It seems every winter we get more and more below zero days. I might rethink that one.

Thanks for that feedback. It seems every winter we get more and more below zero days. I might rethink that one.
I saw you have splash marans in your list, so I wanted to let you know the problem. I don't know if she is just an exception or splash marans from Meyer are just not cold hardy. Every my smallest chicken has no issue with the cold, but she just had a hard time to survive outside.

Back
Top Bottom