Thoughts on this Brahma?

BlueTheBrahma

Songster
Sep 2, 2021
Blue, my Brahma roo has proven five times now that he is infertile. I’ve tried trimming their butt fluff, ensuring the best diet, and I’ve tried to hatch eggs with hens, two incubators and at all points of the year. Firing blanks every time. The eggs are fertilised, but never has a single one developed. But that’s not why I’m posting. On Saturday, I’m collecting an 8 month old cockerel that the owner doesn’t want. He says that he got him alongside mixed pullets, but he slipped through. He looks pure to me, though his colour is bizarre. Just want to know anyone’s thoughts on his colour, type, purity, etc… even if I breed him and then use a rooster he fathers for breeding after that, I have hens of many colour so am not bothered about colours, if anything, the more varieties the better, though I try to breed them to show standard other than colour.
Thanks
E227BDA2-B805-42C8-9A14-97D4FDAD0685.jpeg
EA1B5BA4-CBCB-402B-8C02-37E197D3B209.jpeg

Looks like possibly a Partridge Brahma. Definitely a cockerel.
@Overo Mare can tell you for sure.
Blue, my Brahma roo has proven five times now that he is infertile. I’ve tried trimming their butt fluff, ensuring the best diet, and I’ve tried to hatch eggs with hens, two incubators and at all points of the year. Firing blanks every time. The eggs are fertilised, but never has a single one developed.
How can the roo be infertile if the eggs are fertilized? Could mean the eggs aren’t getting proper care during incubation.

Looks like possibly a Partridge Brahma. Definitely a cockerel.
@Overo Mare can tell you for sure.

How can the roo be infertile if the eggs are fertilized? Could mean the eggs aren’t getting proper care during incubation.
Sometimes individuals can be genetically infertile I think. Even when eggs from other birds are successfully hatched at the same time they still never develope, despite having the bullseye shape when cracked open.

The eggs are fertilised, but something about them stops them from being able to develop.

Partridge birds of his age would usually have ground colour in their shoulders, saddle and secondaries to a great level, he is entirely blue besides his hackles. I’ve seen blue-gold laced Brahmas that have less ground colour, but he seems to completely lack it here. I’ll be able to tell more when I pick him up.
2530F6DF-B51B-45E4-9982-310F2F029857.jpeg
This was one of my previous Roos at only six months, Already nice and colourful. Regret choosing Blue over him now slightly, but I could never have known.

Sometimes individuals can be genetically infertile I think. Even when eggs from other birds are successfully hatched at the same time they still never develope, despite having the bullseye shape when cracked open.

The eggs are fertilised, but something about them stops them from being able to develop.
Exactly!
And about the variety part of your post: There can also just be mixes of colors; he may not be a specific variety.
I'm definitely out of my area of knowledge though, so you should wait on more in-depth advice.

Exactly!
And about the variety part of your post: There can also just be mixes of colors; he may not be a specific variety.
I'm definitely out of my area of knowledge though, so you should wait on more in-depth advice.
You’re probably right about him being a mix of colours. He’s a strange phenotype but I’m not complaining! He’s kind of the colours of a blue-gold birchen hen, though I don’t think birchen is common in Brahmas. I can’t wait to hatch some chicks from him (hopefully it works this time!)

You’re probably right about him being a mix of colours. He’s a strange phenotype but I’m not complaining! He’s kind of the colours of a blue-gold birchen hen, though I don’t think birchen is common in Brahmas. I can’t wait to hatch some chicks from him (hopefully it works this time!)
Fingers crossed for you!
His colors are truly beautiful, I'm sure his chicks would be the cutest.

Blue, my Brahma roo has proven five times now that he is infertile. I’ve tried trimming their butt fluff, ensuring the best diet, and I’ve tried to hatch eggs with hens, two incubators and at all points of the year. Firing blanks every time. The eggs are fertilised, but never has a single one developed. But that’s not why I’m posting. On Saturday, I’m collecting an 8 month old cockerel that the owner doesn’t want. He says that he got him alongside mixed pullets, but he slipped through. He looks pure to me, though his colour is bizarre. Just want to know anyone’s thoughts on his colour, type, purity, etc… even if I breed him and then use a rooster he fathers for breeding after that, I have hens of many colour so am not bothered about colours, if anything, the more varieties the better, though I try to breed them to show standard other than colour.
ThanksView attachment 3384966View attachment 3384967
He's a Blue Birchen, or he's just a Blue with lots of leakage.

Back
Top Bottom