Thoughts on this chicken feed mix?

Cyprus

Master of the 'never give up' attitude
Jan 19, 2018
My Coop
My Coop
I formulated a mix of ingredients that came out to the following nutrient content below per pound. Thoughts? Going for more of an all flock feed.

Protein 30%
Calcium .6%
Phosphorus .476%
Iron 213ppm
Manganese 29.66ppm +supplement
Zinc 47ppm
Niacin 14.4mg/lb
Pantothenic acid: 9.466 mg/lb
Riboflavin 2.76 mg/lb
Choline 951.66 mg/lb
Lysine 2.17%
Methionine .52%
Tryptophan .55%

I formulated a mix of ingredients that came out to the following nutrient content below per pound. Thoughts? Going for more of an all flock feed.

Protein 30%
Calcium .6%
Phosphorus .476%
Iron 213ppm
Manganese 29.66ppm +supplement
Zinc 47ppm
Niacin 14.4mg/lb
Pantothenic acid: 9.466 mg/lb
Riboflavin 2.76 mg/lb
Choline 951.66 mg/lb
Lysine 2.17%
Methionine .52%
Tryptophan .55%
The crude protein is WAAY too high for adult chickens and even excessive for chicks.
It may be fine for young game bird chicks and poults but too high for chickens.
Methionine is OK, Lysine is probably double what it should be. Any idea what the cysteine is? It should be about 0.75%,
Manganese should be triple that.
While I discourage too much calcium, I think 0.6% is too low for an all flock or starter/grower feed. It should be almost double that.
Phosphorus should be double that amount too. Without sufficient phosphorus and D3, they can't assimilate the calcium.

Last edited:
The crude protein is WAAY too high for adult chickens and even excessive for chicks.
It may be fine for young game bird chicks and poults but too high for chickens.
Methionine is OK, Lysine is probably double what it should be. Any idea what the cysteine is? It should be about 0.75%,
Manganese should be triple that.
While I discourage too much calcium, I think 0.6% is too low for and all flock or starter/grower feed. It should be almost double that.
Phosphorus should be double that amount too. Without sufficient phosphorus and D3, they can't assimilate the calcium.
Any supplement suggestions?
I could take the CP down, but this ration is intended for adult poultry on a free range system.

Any supplement suggestions?
I could take the CP down, but this ration is intended for adult poultry on a free range system.
Free range poultry in growing season on good forage should be able to get sufficient essential amino acids to supplement much lower crude protein.
Winter is a much different story but 30 is still too high.

Last edited:
Free range poultry in growing season on good forage should be able to get sufficient essential amino acids to supplement much lower crude protein.
True.
I am not a fan of any protein level less than 20%. Is there a number between 20 and 30 that I should not exceed?

True.
I am not a fan of any protein level less than 20%. Is there a number between 20 and 30 that I should not exceed?
For chickens, I'd say 22. You want them to get about 21 grams of protein a day. More for larger fowl, less for smaller chickens. They will eat more/need more energy in cold weather but the protein requirement stays the same.
Mature chickens out of production, say in autumn would be much better off with closer to 15% crude protein - given that the essential amino acids are sufficient.
As I've said before, there can be a high protein feed but if the essential amino acids are adequate or inadequate, that excess protein is wasted. The non-essential ones will be excreted.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom