Thoughts On This Coop From TSC

You don't want the chickens to sleep in the nesting boxes. If they do they poop in them and then the poop gets on the eggs. Six nesting boxes is way too many for the few chickens this coop will hold. You need 1 box for every 4 chickens. I have 12 chickens in a 6 by 8 coop, 14 by 8 run, and only have 3 nesting boxes. Why waste space with them when they all lay in only 1 of the boxes. Chickens do things like that.

You'd have to do a lot of work to make that coop ready for chickens, even if you only get the few that coop will actually hold comfortably. It's not large enough for heat. A dry chicken is a warm chicken so you need vents to let the moisture from breathing and pooping out of the coop without letting rain in. Chickens don't need heat, they need a dry area. I live in northern Montana. Got down to -22 this winter. The girls were outside all day in the covered run, eating and drinking and scratching around. They only use the coop that is unheated and uninsulated for sleeping.

If you have some tools such as saws and hammers you could make a wonderful coop with little work. If you don't have them maybe you can borrow them. Maybe a friend will help you if you keep him in eggs.

Last edited:
rule of thumb is that kit coops are smaller than you think and are great for starting up with young chicks or young pullets but within 6 months you will regret them and want to build one. it happened to me and I live in a very urban area. I now upgraded and built my own. You will also start with 9 and swear you will never get anymore and after 6 months you will break that rule. welcome to the wonder life of chicken owning
thumbsup.gif

also if it has not been mentioned yet, you don't need heat in your coop with grown pullets. Draft free is key and proper ventilation (which most kit coops lack) are actually way more important than heat. people way up north in Canada don't heat their coops, keep in mind that chickens stay warm by trapping their body heat with their feathers, this is why you can't allow drafts as that disturbs the warm air and replaces it with cold air and then that's a major issue. Moisture is another major issue as you really want a dry, draft free coop. Moisture sticks to things like combs and legs and feathers and yada yada, water also cools and can cause extreme frostbite issues. If I were you and you are getting the kit coop, inspect the joints and make sure there is no space, silicone or patch the drafty spaces and ensure you have enough ventilation up top for 9 chickens especially since if it states it will fit nine they probably made it for 5.

Last edited:
Just an FYI Tractor Supply has larger coops available during chick days. I saw one that is 14-16 chickens and a chain link one that holds up to 18 and was fairly large. They are obviously a lot more expensive as one would expect for a larger coop but from what I can tell they are both very good size. I already got the deluxe red barn for my 4 silkies which is more than enough room for 4 little bantam birds and thinking of now getting the 18 chicken one for my 8 larger layer hens I'll be getting in April. They should have the new coops online one would think as well as in stores.

Just an FYI Tractor Supply has larger coops available during chick days. I saw one that is 14-16 chickens and a chain link one that holds up to 18 and was fairly large. They are obviously a lot more expensive as one would expect for a larger coop but from what I can tell they are both very good size. I already got the deluxe red barn for my 4 silkies which is more than enough room for 4 little bantam birds and thinking of now getting the 18 chicken one for my 8 larger layer hens I'll be getting in April. They should have the new coops online one would think as well as in stores.

If you mean like this:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/producers-pride-defender-chicken-coop?cm_vc=-10005
that is still not sufficient coop size for the quoted number of birds....not to mention for the $1000.00 price tag you could build a much larger, stick built structure that is made of material that will last (as opposed to the life expectancy of this coop), a large secure run and still have money left over.

Do people read the whole thread before responding?
To get in on the discussion, maybe learn something?
and not repeat advice already given because they didn't bother to look??
Or just the first post?
SMH sorry minirant.

Look at the assembly drawings under the more info tab, the coop is only 5ft long..........half of one side of the run. Too bad you can't buy the run separate, then set it beside a converted shed. You could keep 9 hens, maybe more that way.

Look at the assembly drawings under the more info tab, the coop is only 5ft long..........half of one side of the run. Too bad you can't buy the run separate, then set it beside a converted shed. You could keep 9 hens, maybe more that way.
Looking again, just at the pic......I can now see that coop is only half as long as run.
Sorry bout that.

Run is pretty cool, gaps at corners would worry me.

If you want to give the one you have in mind a try (and I do agree with the feedback you've gotten that it's less than ideal), it would get you through the next few months, giving you time to figure out how to enlarge the coop and add more run space before winter when cold weather comes and they'll need the interior space. You may also find out you have an accidental roo or two in the bunch.

If you want to give the one you have in mind a try (and I do agree with the feedback you've gotten that it's less than ideal), it would get you through the next few months, giving you time to figure out how to enlarge the coop and add more run space before winter when cold weather comes and they'll need the interior space. You may also find out you have an accidental roo or two in the bunch.
Maybe just me but for $400 bucks I could a lot of quality lumber to DYI something bigger

Quick update.

Option A: I found a home for three of the chicks. Going to raise them through six weeks and make sure none are roosters and I have the breeds identified right before deciding which ones to give away. I'll more than likely go this route.

Option B: There's a slim chance I'll just get a second coop for three of them and then build a bigger one this summer for all nine. Slim chance though.

Back
Top Bottom