thoughts on this loft idea? feed question too!

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
here is the video that I like the look of his loft, skip to about 3:45 of the video is where the pigeon stuff starts

I have never done pigeons before but I was thinking like this might be pretty good way to go. I have done coturnix quail before and liked them. I had them in a hutch and I like the idea of havin them on the ground in the pen like this. I would probably do deep litter method though I think on the floor. and have raised feeders for the pigeons then on the ground feeders for the cots. and hopefully the cots would be fed a bit less and would clean up spilled feed from the pigeons.

what I would build would be more secure than the video, as we have plenty of coon and predators. and since our winters can be pretty cold and snowy I would have it a bit more protected so rain and snow wouldn't be able to get in so easily but plenty airy for it to not get too hot during summer and get a nice air flow through it.

I am reading that good feed to go for is about 15% protein. grains and seeds are what they like. I will be talking to the local feed store guy soon about what I can order and at what prices to see what I can add up for a good mix. I know I used to order whole wheat and rolled oats so will have to make a list and see what he can and cant get for me. any suggestions or links to good mixes would be appreciated. as well as bulk grain sources not small feed stores? I keep seeing people talk about azure standard but I am in ohio and they don't come this far.
I am also looking into if I can buy amounts less than 50# bags of for-planting grains to try growing some myself. I know I wouldn't be able to grow enough to feed all the animals but it would be one step closer to making a dent in it.

also where do you locate breeders? I haven't had much luck with the few websites pages for breeder listings. but I know being far from anywhere worthwhile that it will be more difficult. what would you say about getting pigeons at local auctions? ohio is one of the states that has shut down all poultry at auctions and fairs etc so I am assuming that means pigeons included, all about avian flu. though I did read an article that said testing so far has shown that pigeons didn't show antibodies for it, get sick when exposed to it, etc.
so I guess that means if I want to get started before that is lifted I will need to find someone to buy from.

I have read that there isn't worry about keeping pigeons and coturnix quail together (unlike with chickens) and that several people seem to have had success with having pigeons hatch out cot eggs. any reason to not try that? of course they would need checked often when close to hatching so that the chicks can be safely taken to a brooder and the pigeons wont try an force feed them.
but assuming someone was able to set several cot eggs in several pigeon nests all at once for them to hatch, and was able to check often during hatch time, and scooped them up to a brooder,... that seems like a smarter way to go than fussing with an incubator.

thanks!

Last edited:
That coop needs to be predator proofed!!!! Too many ways for birds to escape and rats and other animals to get in and kill birds.

They need to clean it up!!!!!!... there is a lot of spilt food on the dirt floor.... this will get mixed with the dirt, bird poop and will cause birds to get diseases when the eat the dirty food.

Get proper poultry feeders and drinkers... makes keeping it clean much easier.

Nice they have lots of light and space and ventilation.

Replace the chicken wire with a smaller mesh wire better to keep out vermin.

here is what I just doodled up. this is more of what I was thinking based off the video. this would be about 10ft by 20ft. windows on three sides of 1x1 inch cage wire. and bedded with plenty of litter and cleaned out often. I would have probably two pair pigeons and a handful of hens with a roo of the coturnix on the floor. with lots of little brushy stuff put in there for them to hide in and a box with a dust bath.

Back
Top Bottom