thoughts on using a CHE

Mom 2em All

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 20, 2008
Dora, Alabama
Has anyone used a ceramic heat emitter instead of, or with, a red bulb for heat? Any reason not to?

My situation is this: I have a 250 watt brooder bulb which is just too hot. My poor chicks stayed way out away from it. I cant lift it any higher or it becomes a fire hazard in my kids room (where the chicks are). I also have a 25 watt red bulb- using that now, but am afraid it doesnt put out enough heat. I have plenty CHEs here (from the reptiles). So, I added one next to my 25 watt bulb. Everyone looks cozy now-not too close, not spaced out, looking hot.

I would think that the CHE lasts longer than the bulb and doesnt throw out bright light all night. Thats two bonuses, wondering if there are any reason not to use them.

The ceramic radient bulbs work like a charm. Only thing is they are far less directional in the way they broadcast heat than a bulb.

I have three. One is a 250 watt and the others are 165 watts. I got them cheap on Ebay.
smile.png
The 250 was perfect when I moved them out to the coop and wanted a little extra heat. The 165 is perfect for the brooder. The other was a backup I never needed.

I love using them and will never use anything else. The chicks are not bombarded with light 24/7, they learn natural sleep/wake cycles, they aren't afraid of the dark, and I have never had a picking problem. I recommend them 110%.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom