Thoughts?

This seems to be a solid plan. i don’t know much (well, anything really) about breeding, but how can you be sure you’re breeding towards resistance, as opposed to breeding towards being better at hiding symptoms? I’ve only dealt with fowl pox and bumblefoot so far, and I hope to keep it that way. :fl
Good point. Can you imagine breeding for resistance against fowl pox? I have good news for you that you might already know about. Your birds will be immune to fowl pox the rest of their lives. However, they can still get canary pox, pigeon pox, turkey pox etc...

Good point. Can you imagine breeding for resistance against fowl pox? I have good news for you that you might already know about. Your birds will be immune to fowl pox the rest of their lives. However, they can still get canary pox, pigeon pox, turkey pox etc...
I believe I read that it’s generally only dangerous for young chicks/pullets, old birds, or if it becomes wet pox (in the trachea/mouth) also that it stunts growth in young pullets? Thankfully, it seems to have finally finished running its course through my flock, I noticed scabs on some combs in December and I haven’t seen any in a few weeks now.

I believe I read that it’s generally only dangerous for young chicks/pullets, old birds, or if it becomes wet pox (in the trachea/mouth) also that it stunts growth in young pullets? Thankfully, it seems to have finally finished running its course through my flock, I noticed scabs on some combs in December and I haven’t seen any in a few weeks now.
Wet pox is the one that can cause death by starvation, or suffocation in severe cases. I havnt experienced dry pox in young or old birds. If I did I'd ensure they're given Poultry Nutri Drench or mix up a batch of Avian Super Pack to help build up their immune system. It's best to give either product to all infected birds anyway no matter what their age.

my birds are very important to me. I may just be stubborn but I don’t believe they really have anything going on with them. No I wouldn’t knowingly sell someone a sick bird but I do believe the chicks I have are healthy . If anyone ask about sickness etc. I will tell them exactly what I am telling y’all.

Back
Top Bottom