Thread-bare hens

2dancingrats

Songster
10 Years
Jun 17, 2009
Bay City, Michigan
My Auracans all are losing feathers in their saddle areas. Its really cold here in Michigan, and I worried about them. My husband is sure it is caused by our overly zealous roo. He's ready to cull him from our flock. Can this be the cause? Is there anything I can do for them, or feed to them, to help them get their feathers back faster? I'd hate to have to give up the roo. I have two of them and they make a great hen-guarding team!

I'm interested in this too because I have some russian orloffs that have lost feathers. I think it was compounded now by other chickens pecking at the bare areas. Is there anything to put on there to promote feather growth and diminish pecking by other birds during the growing back stage?

I was wondering if she and I are describing moulting? (I'm a chicken newbie) My orloffs are both losing feathers and both laying very well.

Very interested in the answer to her question!

Could it possibly be that they are just molting. Chicken are weird and molt in the fall which really does not make sense to me
roll.png
If it is the roo causing the issue you could buy or make chicken saddles and put on the hens for a while.

I thought they backed off on egg laying during molt. Also, can't understand why its just the Auracanas. The Rhode Island Reds look great! Everyone is laying lots of eggs.

Last edited:
I don't know...if it's specifically in the saddle area, I would guess roo issues more than molting. Either way though, I don't have an answer to your question of what can be done to promote feather growth quicker, although most say increase protein (eggs, occasional cat food, etc.). The only thing I've heard of to kind of keep others from pecking at an area is Blue Kote. If it's rooster issues I would think you'd have to get saddles for them....

I am noticing this on my silkie girls too. My Big Buff Orp roo loves them. I am thinking about getting saddles for them. It is to cold in Michigan for bare skin on chickens.

Sounds like it's from the roo. They most likely won't get their feathers back until they molt. You can buy/make aprons for them to help them stay warm and to keep the roo from doing further damage if you decide to keep him. How many hens do you have and how old are they? Adding a few more hens so he spreads the love around a little more could help too.
wink.png

I have 12 hens and 2 roos. We got them as chicks in April of this year. The offending roo was sold to us as a hen. Joke's on us!! Don't want to get more hens before spring. Do you know where I can get a pattern for the hen aprons?

Last edited:
Quote:
Here's a link to buy them http://www.freewebs.com/ditzzyswhimsicalcreations/

and
I believe this thread has a pattern link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=98247

If
you do a site search for hen aprons and/or hen saddles you'll find a bunch more, but my computer is being slow so I just stopped at two.

I've also read of people putting duct tape on the bare areas for a quick fix. It will fall off after a few days, but might help until you're able to do something more permenent.

Back
Top Bottom