Threadworm/ascarid

cynic_custodian

Chirping
Feb 17, 2020
Arnhem, the Netherlands
I have a flock of three, one hen has developed a black comb and she and another have a dirty bum for some weeks now.
The vet just called with the diagnosis threadworm/ascarid and I'm going down for meds shortly so my question isn't what this chicken has, but what do I do? The other two hens look healthy apart from the dirty behind and are way more lively then the sick one.

I'm planning to clean out the coop daily, to avoid re-contamination but apart from that, is there anything I should do? I'm talking to the vet in more detail tomorrow to see if the sick hen needs more care but I can't stand doing nothing because I feel bad for her.

Thanks for reading my rambling, hope you can help.

Capillary or threadworms are hard to treat, and that is why most of the wormers we recommend commonly for chickens—fenbendazole (Panacur, SafeGuard) and albendazole (Valbazen)—are usually recommended to be given for several days in a row. Roundworms are easier to treat. Since ivermectin has lost effectiveness against worms because of it’s overuse for many years to treat lice and mites, it may not be effective. There also is a long egg withdrawal time with ivermectin. Let us know if the treatment was effective. Here are a couple of good articles about the different worms that chickens get, and how to prevent them in the environment:
https://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2649&Itemid=2938
https://ucanr.edu/sites/poultry/files/201396.pdf

Had an appointment with the vet this morning, mainly about our jack russel but talked about the chickens as well. He recommends another cure in ten days, clean the coop regularly and then another cure in a month and only a follow up test after that.
Cleaned out their run this morning, removed everything they would pick at in the dirt and hosed everything. Bought them some hanging raw feed and put everything in dishes now so they don't have to pick in the dirt. Let's hope we get them like this.

The hen is doing better though, moves a lot more then last sunday and eats and drinks well.

Chicken crumbles or pellets mixed with a lot of water, if you feed a homogenized chicken feed, can be mixed into a mush to feed easily. Plain yogurt or buttermilk can be used in small amounts for some probiotics, but there are better ones for animals. Some feeds now contain them as well.

I don't think my feed contains probiotics, but the store has some supplements that contain probiotics. I have given it before and they did seem better with it, stupid I didn't think of getting some today, will go again tomorrow.
Just gave them some yogurt. Stella, the sick one, loved it!

Thank you so much for all your help!

Ascarids are roundworms and thread worms are capillary worms. You will need to treat with SafeGuard liquid goat wormer 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight for 5 straight days. You can get it plus a syringe for measuring at your feed store. A 5 pound hen would get 1.25 ml dose.

Back
Top Bottom