Threadworm/ascarid

Chrystal clear.
The sick hen, Stella, is still the same. Eats, drinks, poops (still runny) and clearly not feeling well but less lethargic then this weekend. Keeping my hopes up. Cleaning out the coop again today and will have to wash her behind as well.

Edit: it's cloudy here today and 9 degrees celcius. Should I wash her behind or just let it be? Don't want to make her use energy for getting warm while she needs it to get better but also don't want her to infect herself again..

Another edit: Just held the sick hen, she's sóó skinny I'm affraid we're losing the battle here. While I had her she pooped (not on me luckily) and I could see worms in her poo. Is that a good sign, like they're dying and letting go, or a bad sign (three days after medication)?

Last edited:
Were the worms alive and moving, or dead? It could be that she is expelling some dead worms, and some can be absorbed into the body. I would give her some form of probiotics, some wet chicken feed, and a little egg to boost her. I would not wash her, but try to clean her off as well as possible. Bring her inside to get her warm. If you absolutely have to bathe her, which can be very stressful to a sick hen, dry her with a dryer very well.

Chicken crumbles or pellets mixed with a lot of water, if you feed a homogenized chicken feed, can be mixed into a mush to feed easily. Plain yogurt or buttermilk can be used in small amounts for some probiotics, but there are better ones for animals. Some feeds now contain them as well.

I don't think my feed contains probiotics, but the store has some supplements that contain probiotics. I have given it before and they did seem better with it, stupid I didn't think of getting some today, will go again tomorrow.
Just gave them some yogurt. Stella, the sick one, loved it!

Thank you so much for all your help!

Stella didn't make it. She collapsed late thuis morning andere could nog het up again by herself. We put her down this afternoon. I feel like I really failed her and will try extra hard for the other two. Thank you so much for your help and time, I won't post as regular about the others because there is less to tell but I will let you know how the cure from the vet ends.

OK, proper English now because that message was sent from my phone and half Dutch.

Stella, the sick hen, didn't make it. She collapsed late friday morning and couldn't get up by herself. The vet put her down in the afternoon. I feel like I really failed her and will try extra hard for the other two. Thank you so much for your help and time, I won't post as regular about the others because there is less to tell but I will let you know how the cure from the vet ends.

The other two appear healthy and are lively, so I'm hoping for the best. I clean out their coop more regular to avoid re-infection and give there treats in stone bowls to avoid contamination from the soil.

I am very sorry for you loss of Stella. It would have been good to have performed a necropsy on her body, to look for cancer or reproductive disorders. A veterinatry poultry lab is usually where that may be done. Did the vet do a necropsy or a follow-up on her worm testing? Capillary or thread worms can be dangerous in chickens. They are difficult to treat, requiring multiple day treatment. If you can, I would get Panacur or another brand of fenbendazole and treat each one for 5 days at 0.5 ml per Kg of weight. Ivermectin and praziquatel may not be effective.

Thank you.
The vet didn't do both, the other vet offered to do one but she is the one that missed the worms in the first place so didn't think that would be of much use.
I found this (still available in my country), https://www.vetsend.co.uk/fenbendrops/?_ga=2.164763642.415784977.1582549601-1888228814.1582549601, from panacur I could only find tablets for cats and dogs. The site says 1ml/Kg, maybe the dosage is different?

You say stop with the ivermectin/praziquatel and do fenbendazole?

Back
Top Bottom