Three choices for winter feed: Which best?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by warmheart, Nov 8, 2012.

1. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Here we can get Agway Layer, Purina Layena, and Nutrena Naturewise Layer. All say they're 16% protein. Are the "prebiotics and probiotics" in Nutrena viable/active? Anything in there help increase calcium uptake? Anyone have any experience to compare the Agway, Layena, & Nutrena feeds?

We're tossing out some veggies now and again, too, but winter will not be as rich a time with fresh foods for them as in summer. The hens range in a large garden, but I can't imagine there's many bugs or worms left at this time.

Thanks for sharing your experiences!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. kreagerm

kreagerm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    I'm sure you're gonna get all kinds of different answers on this question. I bounce back and forth between Purina Layena and the Southern States layer feed. I buy whats on sale or the cheapest at that time. The chickens don't seem to mind either brands and I don't see any difference in egg production. I'm sure you'll hear the same about the other brands as well.

Hope that helps

3. warmheart

warmheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2012
    Norton, MA
    Thank you, Kreagerm. I guess the big brands probably are all too similar to have many differences. Thanks for your input! I appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by