Three day old chicks - personalities already evident by breed!

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My new chicks are 3 days old. From watching many hours of chick TV, I can already see the distinct personalities of each breed.

Naked Necks (turkens) - Clowns, the first to chase after bugs that get in the brooder and usually the ones to catch them. One of the NNs, named for my stepdaughter, is definitely the queen of the brooder. She's all up in everyones biz.

Silkies - willing to go along with what the others want to do. A bit shy. Easily handled. Have a bet going with DH that I have correctly identified one as a cockerel already.

Speckled sussex - quiet, followers, not leaders. Friendly.

Faverolles - typical chicks, quiet sometimes, rambunctious others. Friendly.

Easter eggers - little devils in feather suits. Always trying to get out of the brooder (have made it a few times), attacking the thermometer, scratching all the food out of the trays, busy little bees.

Can't wait to see how they are as adults.
smile.png

Great post! I love hearing the differences in breeds, and the best way to do that is get a bunch of different breeds! LoL. I have been curious of Turkens, and glad to read they are the clowns of your brooder. And how EE's vary is so cool as well! My EE is kind of.. "blonde" though I love her she does these life threatening jumps off the garbage bin or whatever she happens to be perched on. Her decline is definately NOT as graceful as her try to get ON the garbage.
smile.png
Thanks for the informative post! I love hearing different experiences, and will definately be watching to see how your babies grow and develope
big_smile.png

Oh I am already over the top in love with my turkens! They are so cute, well so ugly they're cute if you believe my DH.
I've read lots of stories about their wonderful personalities as well.
The one named for my DSD "Mandi" is already a pretty dawggone good bug catcher.

My turkens were my favorite when I had them before. They were friendly and curious, and they made great broodies. Besides they were so dang cute...
13038_motivator3c9ebde9e5e700d28be83bccd76cccf6.jpeg

My silkies have been very calm. Haven't had any sussex or faverolles before, but I think I'd love them. My EE's have been busy, but not nearly as busy as my minorcas.

I love Turkens. My very first turken was a buff turken and we had a columbian wyandotte roo that mated with her and we incubated her egg and got the most nicest white turken roo. He was the friendliest roo I ever had. I think they are so adorable and they are also my husbands favorite breed.

I have some blue laced red wyandotte chicks that are so friendly and loves to be with people too. They willingly approach me when I go to visit with them whether its time for food or just a visit.

Awesome pic you found jossanne, thanks!
smile.png

These four day old turkens are eating out of my hand!
th.gif

I went to fill water and feeders in the brooder this morning and all of the turkens came running over to see if I'd brought them any more yummy grasshoppers.

Back
Top Bottom