Three EE Pullets..maybe not? Pics

Chicky Tocks

Crowing
14 Years
Oct 20, 2008
Benton, Arkansas
I've had these three EE's for almost two months now. My DH brought them home and told me they were pullets. They're still young and not yet laying. I know for sure that two of them are indeed pullets, but today I noticed something a little suspicious about one of them. Please if you're versed in EE sexing, tell me if I'm not right!!!

So the pure white one is the one I suspect might just be a roo...
This first pic is a panoramic taken on my cell phone. The white chicken is the same chicken in this photo.

Roo1.jpg

Note the tail. Today I noticed some extra fluffiness and dangly down feathers that are not on the other two EE's. These feathers seem to be extra sensitive to the wind and the movement of the bird....they move like long hair.

This photo is of all three of my EE's...again, that tail, those neck feathers....
sings: one of these things is not like the others - which one is it do you know....
Roo2.jpg

Back to back EE's, again my white one in question...and the lady buffs who wanted to get in on the photo op.

Roo3.jpg

So am I right? Do I have a white as rice roo? Will all my baby EE's be white if I keep him?

Last edited:
The light feathers make it really hard to see whether or not there are sickle or hackle feathers. It doesn't look very rooish to me, but again, it's hard to tell from the pictures.

From those pictures, I don't see anything that says roo. One of my 3 EEs also looked very different from the other two - different type comb, different tail type, & different coloring, but all 3 ended up
being pullets. The one in question was the first of the 3 to lay an egg (she laid her first 2 days ago and her second egg today - the others have started yet).

Those feathers still look pretty rounded. The ones at the base of their tails and around their necks get very pointed on males. Females feathers stay pretty and curved in those areas.

wee.gif
TYVM! For as long as I've kept chickens, I've never had much of a knack for sexing them. Still, I'm going to be watching this white chicken!
I'll take some better photos tomorrow. The feathers are beautiful and irredescent. Those around the neck are longer and fluffier than those on the others and the tailfeathers are really starting to take a turn downwards which makes me think roo. The last roo I had in a batch of pullets I didn't realize was a roo until it crowed.

ETA: And yes!!! I noticed that the comb on this white chicken is RED and the other two are pink still.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom