Three of four hens laying

InSeeGal

Hatching
Aug 22, 2015
So...we have four barred rock hens hatched in January 2015. Three of the four of them are laying (first one started about a month ago; the rest followed a couple of weeks after). Any ideas about why the fourth one acts completely clueless while the other three are fighting over the nesting boxes? ;-) They are all the same breed, in the same coop, getting the same food, and hatched at the same time. This is our first experience with chickens, so please forgive the newbie question. They also get to free range in the late afternoon/ evenings, so they all get a variety of foods.

Last edited:
That is a bit of a challenge. That seem to never want to stay together. Ha! I will try when we round them up here in a bit.

I couldn't snap a picture tonight, but I will try again tomorrow. I did notice something though. She seems to be smaller than the others. She also seems to be lowest in the pecking order - last to eat and such. Could it be stress?

welcome-byc.gif

The Omega bird usually isn't stressed by their position in the flock. Birds seem to understand better than humans that someone has to be on the bottom. They accept their position and are content eating last. As long as there's enough feed for her when the others are done, she shouldn't be stressed.

If you're concerned about her getting enough to eat, try putting out a second feeder.

Back
Top Bottom