Three of the new peepers!

Chickerbockers

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2018
Pacific Northwest
image.jpeg
Here are three of our newly hatched baby peepers. The light one is Silkey/Rhode Island Red. The two little black ones are Silkey and Cochin. Our two roosters are both Silkey (were supposed to be female...darn person we got them from), and the rest of our flock includes two Americuna, two Buff Orpingtons, three Barred Rocks, and one Cochin. Oh, and Jo, the mama of four of the baby peepers, she is the Rhode Island Red and Silkey Mix.

No idea what sex these little birds are, but I suspect at least one rooster.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 1289675 Here are three of our newly hatched baby peepers. The light one is Silkey/Rhode Island Red. The two little black ones are Silkey and Cochin. Our two roosters are both Silkey (we're supposed to be female...darn person we got them from), and the rest of our flock includes two Americuna, two Buff Orpingtons, three Barred Rocks, and one Cochin. Oh, and Jo, the mama of four of the baby peepers, she is the Rhode Island Red and Silkey Mix.

No idea what sex these little birds are, but I suspect at least one rooster.
Gorgeous chicks! Congratulations on you new additions! My silkie hen is due to hatch out next weekend and I'm so excited! I know they say don't count your chickens before they hatch but I'm expecting all 5 to hatch! Or at least I hope so! She has 3 eggs from other hens that I gave her and 2 from herself. She is a white silkie and her mate is a regular sized orange rooster. 2 of the eggs she's sitting on are from my bcm hens. I'm so excited to see what colors and varieties I end up with. You always hope for hens but expect at least one rooster. I expected majority hens and ended up with 4 roosters and 4 hens last summer. Now I have an all rooster flock and a hen and their rooster flock. Raising baby chicks is fun I wish you the best of luck and enjoy them while they are tiny and cute!
20180130_153724.jpg
20180130_153645.jpg

Gorgeous chicks! Congratulations on you new additions! My silkie hen is due to hatch out next weekend and I'm so excited! I know they say don't count your chickens before they hatch but I'm expecting all 5 to hatch! Or at least I hope so! She has 3 eggs from other hens that I gave her and 2 from herself. She is a white silkie and her mate is a regular sized orange rooster. 2 of the eggs she's sitting on are from my bcm hens. I'm so excited to see what colors and varieties I end up with. You always hope for hens but expect at least one rooster. I expected majority hens and ended up with 4 roosters and 4 hens last summer. Now I have an all rooster flock and a hen and their rooster flock. Raising baby chicks is fun I wish you the best of luck and enjoy them while they are tiny and cute!View attachment 1289686 View attachment 1289687
Your lady is a beauty! This is the first time we have had the eggs hatch, so I am trying to figure out how not to bother the mamas too often!

Your lady is a beauty! This is the first time we have had the eggs hatch, so I am trying to figure out how not to bother the mamas too often!
This is the second go for me. My partridge silkie hatched out her one chick on Christmas day. I brought her nest inside during that cold time and I set up dog training pads around her and food and water. It wasn't so bad because she would come out once a day and do her business and clean up was a breeze. Now it's round 2 and my white silkie is taking a turn. This is her first time. She will be a year old in July. My hens are very friendly and know me well. I guess you would say I do bother them but it's all in good nature. I check on my silkie a few times a day to make sure she's got all 5 eggs covered. She is small and 3 of the eggs she has are regular sized. Every morning around 10 I get her to come down and eat and drink and I make sure she goes back to the correct nest. She doesn't seem to mind and she knows her name. Her name is Maggie and I say her name to make sure she's okay in there and she answers. When my partridge silkie hatched out she didn't mine me being around and touching her chick and her. I guess it all depends on the mama to determine if she enjoys the extra company or not. I hope I don't sound silly. I am a chicken freak. I just love silkie mixes. You never know what you will come up with. Your chicks are absolutely beautiful! I included a pic of my patridge silkie and a current pic of her chick. The orange rooster is also the father of her I'm sure you can tell by her color lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20180118_134554304.jpg
    IMG_20180118_134554304.jpg
    996 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20180222_165038732.jpg
    IMG_20180222_165038732.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 4
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
This is the second go for me. My partridge silkie hatched out her one chick on Christmas day. I brought her nest inside during that cold time and I set up dog training pads around her and food and water. It wasn't so bad because she would come out once a day and do her business and clean up was a breeze. Now it's round 2 and my white silkie is taking a turn. This is her first time. She will be a year old in July. My hens are very friendly and know me well. I guess you would say I do bother them but it's all in good nature. I check on my silkie a few times a day to make sure she's got all 5 eggs covered. She is small and 3 of the eggs she has are regular sized. Every morning around 10 I get her to come down and eat and drink and I make sure she goes back to the correct nest. She doesn't seem to mind anddidn't mine me being around and touching her chick and her. I guess it all depends on the mama.

I love that orange color! Such a beauty. My mamas are not terribly tame; they will take treats out of my hands, but are not cuddle chickens. Here are the other three baby peepers and their mama Jo.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Here are a few of our other ladies. You may spot one photo which has a few flock members who have adopted us! If I wanted a flock of doves, I apparently have around 32 who have volunteered! Last summer we only had four...

View attachment 1289783 View attachment 1289785 View attachment 1289786

I love that orange color! Such a beauty. My mamas are not terribly tame; they will take treats out of my hands, but are not cuddle chickens. Here are the other three baby peepers and their mama Jo.
Those are absolutely beautiful I love their coloring and their little puffy "hair" . They are so cute. I cannot wait until my silkie hatches out now! My Mama's are all very tame they are handled, loved on and fed by hand. You have a beautiful bunch please post updates! I know their coloring will be so much more as they grow!

View attachment 1289790 View attachment 1289792 View attachment 1289793 View attachment 1289791
Here are a few of our other ladies. You may spot one photo which has a few flock members who have adopted us! If I wanted a flock of doves, I apparently have around 32 who have volunteered! Last summer we only had four...
You have some beautiful birds! The triplet ladies are gorgeous. I love their coloring! I love all birds. Those dove must feel comfortable at your place since they brought a few friends more this time. I included my all rooster flock and one of my hens. In the background is her rooster and the rest of her "sister wives".
IMG_20180219_172007910_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180228_164828461.jpg
IMG_20180219_172014035_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180220_154709766_HDR.jpg
20180130_153555.jpg

Back
Top Bottom