Three Sisters Method - The Miracle Trifecta!

Mostly good, though I don't know if I'll use this method again. Because of the drought the corn didn't get tall enough (maybe 3 feet at the tallest) for the beans, so they twined up to the top and then started growing out onto the squash plants. The corn cobs were tiny as well so we fed them to the chickens. The rattlesnake beans were delicious and will definitely happen again. Winner of the garden though was the 'wild' pumpkin plants that we transplanted from the yard! Turns out they were seeds from a pie pumpkin I had tossed into the bin last winter and a squirrel got into. We got four pumpkins out of them! We also had a million pattypan squash the size of your head. They were pretty good but you can only eat so much squash - luckily the girls like to eat those too. We also planted sunflowers that grew really well, until the seeds ripened and the squirrels bent the stalks climbing up for a feast. The chickens liked the sunflower heads underripe anyway so next year we'll just pick them early.

Corn - bust, not happening again
Beans - delicious, definitely happening again
Squash - way too many, chickens liked them
Pumpkins - awesome! pumpkin patch in the works for next year
Sunflowers - gorgeous, happening again

Back
Top Bottom