Three week old still with very limited ffeather development, should I be worried?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lobzi, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a chick who is three weeks old today. She/he seems to have stopped developing with just the limited wing feather growth. She/he eats well and plays when not sleeping. Its been cold so hiding in a warm spot seems to be the preference. Should I be concerned that this little one may be ill? Poo seems normal.
    [​IMG]
    This was just taken a few mins ago. Three weeks old today.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I wouldn't be concerned as long as its eating, drinking and pooping like a normal chick would. My chicks feathered in at different rates (I've even had chicks that seemed to blow out their fuzz when new feathers started to grow, leaving them mostly bald looking). Most of the time-but not always- my slow to feather chicks turned out to be cockerels. Good luck :)

3. Lobzi

Im not concerned about the sex, just the health. The mannerisms are more like a female. Unfortunately I dont have but the one hatch from this brood so no comparison chick exists only experience from other previous hatches.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

What temps do you have in the incubator? Too warm results in slower feather growth. Or sometimes it just happens.

[​IMG]

This chick here is 3 weeks old.

After they hit 4 weeks - I turned off heat completely. They are at 60-70 degrees now.

5. 20736

20736 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2012
    I think the type of chicken (breed) and the brooder temp probably are at play here. At 3 weeks brooder should be maybe 75-70 F, and again it may be a slow feathering breed.
    I agree that the best course is to wait if everything else is normal - eating, etc.

6. aoxa

Chick looks otherwise healthy.

It will look really weird for a while. I had a friend who had a chick like this until it was 8 weeks old, it wasn't fully feathered until 3 months. Raised by a broody. Sure was an ugly thing!!

7. Lobzi

I am the brooder[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lobzi

This little one was a lone hatch under a broody hen. I brought her inside to stay with me. This is how I am noticing the slow feather development.

9. aoxa

Why didn't you leave it with mama?

10. Lobzi

I had a little guy, my first chicken, who I raised with me because I didnt have a coop or others for him to live with. I enjoyed him so much. He was my buddy. I got others because I was advised chickens dont do well alone. Well he never completely crossed over. He played with the others during the day but spent the evenings and nights in the house with me. Anyway, he died. I am wanting to raise another as I did him. This little one was a lone hatch and mama(s) are still one eggs. I figured it would be a good chance to try again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by