Three-Year-Old Rooster with Worsening Condition ~ Help!

Hengri-La

In the Brooder
6 Years
Dec 29, 2013
SW Oregon
I am absolutely stumped! Please, please be patient as this is L-O-N-G for I'm giving as much detail as I possibly can!

I've done extensive research and have ruled out Marek's, slipped tendon, keel ulcer (apparently can lead to weakness of bilateral leg, foot, and toes), gout, and any external parasites. Did notice a single roundworm in feces of an unidentified flockmate (six, standard sized, egg laying hens of various breeds ranging in age of 3 to 8+ years) so entire flock was wormed accordingly with V (albazenalbendazole) nine months ago. I highly doubt nutritional deficiency (further explanation throughout the rest of this post and at the end) and other than my roo, all other members of my flock are quite healthy - a couple slightly too healthy perhaps! Though slowed, the girls still consistently lay despite their age and the entire flock has been fed an organic, soy-free, guaranteed nutritionally appropriate (for roosters too) layer pellet. Diet is supplemented with raw fruit and veggie scraps two to five times a week and with about 1/2 to 2/3 cup mixed seed, scratch every morning. About Once a week, or less, 1/4 cup, freeze dried meal worms are tossed out as well. Flock does not free range and there have been no new members added to the since his introduction three years ago and there's no possibility of exposure to any other poultry either; however, their run is not covered and many, various species of wild birds have full access to this area so there's undoubtedly some contact here. The flock's run is approximately 16'x48' with two cedar trees and a secure, weather tight coop (with two roosting poles: 12" and 24" off floor) in which I've consistently used pine shavings as floor litter and straw within three nesting boxes. Daily water available from three, easily accessible places.

HISTORY of my lovable rooster: Three years ago, a dozen Columbian Wyandotte eggs went into the incubator, day five candling revealed one unfertalized and one ceased development with obvious blood ring - both were purged. Very early morning of day 20, first pip and within the next 18 hours, nine eggs produced nine lively chicks. While #9 chick was breaking free, egg #10 had finally pipped. Unfortunately, impatience yet with all good intention, the boy became a full assist in hatching by someone who didn't know that doing so could result in much more harm than good. Immediately after the little roo's down dried to fluffy, it was obvious something wasn't right. Though his feet and toes were fully functional, he wouldn't and couldn't stand up and appeared to be unable to support his own weight. He would remain in a squatting or nesting position and would rapidly scoot everywhere he went. It's as if his brain couldn't acknowledge he had legs connecting his body to his feet! Going with that idea, we established an on-the-fly, physical therapy routine and put him through numerous (too many to count) intense sessions. By day three, there was an astounding improvement and by day five, we discontinued the PT altogether because his over all mobility was indistinguishable from his hatchmates and kept up; however, he did retain residual symptoms that never fully went away. The positioning of both of his ankle areas when he's resting on the ground roll medially/inward so his feet (and toes) rest very relaxed and slightly on their lateral sides. When he stands to run or walk, it's never a single, fluid-smooth movement like other chickens. When he begins to push up to stand, he very briefly stops to individually straighten his ankles so as to open and flatten his feet and toes before attempting to walk or run. Every once in a great while, though, he will stumble upon standing if his intent is to run as opposed to walking. Unless one is completely familiar with chicken movement, know's this rooster's hatching history, and closely watches whenever he stands up to walk or run, you would never notice anything out of the ordinary - can all be so easily missed. All that being said, there has never been any mobility issues UNTIL approximately 14 months ago and it's been steadily progressing in severity.

What initially presented as occasional, brief moments of resting on his hocks has increased to spending most of his waking hours in this position. Now, upon standing, he is much slower (as if arthritic or stiff), is awkward stumbles significantly more whether his intent is to walk or run; both ankles are rolling more medially/inward than what has been his normal and his left significantly more so than his right and both feet now possess toes which appear to have some degree of paralysis. The left foot with three toes and one of them appears to be in a semifixed state where he no longer can fully clench or extend the toe himself. I can extend it (with toe next to it following) but there's significant resistance and I can feel the movement is not smooth, like rolling a marble over millet. Once I fully extend this toe and release it, it steadily returns to it's now, semifixed state and this is where it remains. When walking, each step becomes more difficult with his ankle areas actually bending like knees giving the appearance that he's going to fall forward or will appear to be walking on his tippy toes and, again, more so on the left than the right - in fact, his left foot pad no longer fully contacts the ground, specifically the back half of that left. It's obvious walking is a struggle and within 15 feet, he'll rest back on his haunches briefly before proceeding further. Running is extremely awkward with his left ankle rolling so much that it keeps most of the foot completely off the ground which results in relying directly on his semifixed toes to run which doesn't work. He simply has to stop altogether and go with walking the rest of the way. Scales of legs normal - not raised, legs, feet, toes not swollen and their color is normal; HOWEVER, there are now very obvious reddened areas on the lateral aspects of the dorsal foot nearing between the last two toes of both feet. These red areas are not open (wounds).

He is not underweight, yet, but has lost over 1.5 lbs in the last year. I think the weight loss is due to his declining mobility making it a challenge to get to the feeder as I've confirmed his appetite remains unchanged. Four of the last seven days, I've taken him out in the evening, away from the rest of his flock, and held him while I offered all the 20% protein, organic chick starter he wants and he's consistently eaten a good 1/3 of a cup each time. Still performs his rooster duties and readily tidbits for his girls instead of eating the tasty bits himself. Can get in and out of the coop on his own as well as up on and down from the highest roosting pole.

Approximately four months ago and for one week, I gave him a daily, weight appropriate dose of "Amino B-Plex", a liquid form of a complete vitamin B supplement with amino acids with no improvement. Approximately two and a half months ago, directly gave 2 ml "Poultry Nutri-Drench" by oral route x5 days and, again, there was no improvement.

Have I exhausted everything??? Is this a neurological disorder, a congenital condition that's just going to get progressively worse??? The nearest vet who specializes in pet chickens is almost 200 miles away, is this my best option at this point?

I absolutely adore my goofy, sweet, and lovable boy (as does my niece) and I just can't give up on him.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1525311210360.jpg
    FB_IMG_1525311210360.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 15
A rooster shouldn't eat layer. Not sure if that's the problem, but it doesn't help. It can take a few months for a rooster to improve after switching off a layer. My roosters would die young on a layer with the first signs being lethargy, and generally not acting right.

Back
Top Bottom