Thrilled to be here!

My fear is that my flock will run away. I have people around me with the same kind of animals. Do they do that?
They won't run away unless their needs aren't being met at home. Give them a secure, comfortable coop, plenty of good food, clean water and places to forage and dust bathe and they'll always come home.

Last edited:
They won't run away unless their needs aren't being met at home. Give them a secure, comfortable coop, plenty of good food, clean water and places to forage and dust bathe and they'll always come home.
I do clean it, and a lot of people get on me for doing it all the time. I say a clean coop is what I would want if I were a chicken, but I don't listen to them. Thank you very much.

First, welcome to BYC from someone who also has chickens, ducks and geese!

Was the reference to chicken grit? That helps the birds digest food; actual grits, while made of ground corn, wouldn't be an ideal choice for chickens, in my opinion. Grits would be far from nutritionally complete, and I'm not sure how much processing the corn has to go through.

I have not had much luck with keeping more than one rooster at a time. When there was conflict, I rehomed the more aggressive rooster. He now lives in a rooster flock. Without hens to incite them, roosters can live peacefully with each other.

I rarely say no to getting more chickens, but I don't think that would solve your rooster problem. IF you want to keep both roosters, MAYBE you can house them separately, each with their own group of girls. For a few years, Sir Henry the Loud, a gorgeous Iowa Blue boy, lived in his own coop and run with two hens. Had I let him loose with Billy Boy, a cocky but small Cochin Bantam who "free ranged" with the other hens during the day, there would have been blood.

Best wishes with working out your rooster situation. I, personally, would lean toward keeping John Wayne.
I agree with @Callender Girl. Two of my roosters live in a coop and run within the run of the hens - they are very happy.

Back
Top Bottom