Thriving and then not chicks

myhoneybfly

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 23, 2013
a few seconds ago
myhoneybfly
I know this has been addressed I previous lines and post, but since I am pretty new at this and I am hoping I might have missed something. I have 4 chicks that are of mixed varities but all 2wks olds. All were vac before I recieved and no one has been outside yet. They all seemed fine, 1 looks like it just wasn't thriving so I separated it, feet looked somewhat curled. Working on that issue. She is hanging in there. Now I have 3 others, big strapping guys that are big compared to others starting to hobble around. Muscle tiring and squatting a lot. 2 have toes that are curling and one just sits constantly. They are on good fresh feed, probiotics and vit mix'd into water daily. What am I missing? Is it just lack of thriving and other growing too fast? And how do I help?

Welcome to BYC. Are you feeding a commercial chick starter? It almost sounds as if you might be dealing with a vitamin shortage.

images

Welcome to BYC!

If this isn't a genetic issue as many times curled toes and weakness are, but it is possible that you are over doing the vitamins. I once read an article about how giving too much vitamins to poultry can actually be harmful to their ability to absorb nutrients from the feed.

If this was going on in my flock I would stop with vitamins and not to take any chances, I would get another type of feed. I would however, keep up with the probiotics.

You might also post this question in our Raising Chicks section in case someone else has had this issue as well...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks

Good luck with your babies. I hope you can resolve this soon!

Last edited:
Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3 check what you are feeding and exactly what is in the vitamins you are giving, it sounds a lot like curled toes

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Increase Riboflavin for Curled Toes
In Curled Toe Paralysis (also called Curly Toes), chick walks on tops of curled toes & toenails (vs. Twisted Toes, in which young or old bird walks on sides of twisted toes). Chick will become unable to stand, and often rest or try to walk on hocks to relieve pain of toes.
Caused by Riboflavin (Vitamin B12) deficiency.
If caused by chick diet (feed that is out-of-date, formulated poorly, or not formulated specifically for chicks), toes start curling within 1-2 weeks.
If caused by diet of mother hen (such as solely Layer Feed--without access to Riboflavin-rich foods such as certain greens, etc.), toes start curling within a couple days of birth.
IMMEDIATELY increase Riboflavin in chick's diet. Give supplement or multi-vitamin drink with high Riboflavin (Vitamin B12), or Riboflavin-rich foods such as paprika, dried coriander, spearmint, parsley, ground almonds or sesame seeds (you can grind these with a hammer), dry roasted soy (NOT fresh soy), Romano or Swiss cheese, some types of fish (Mackerel, Atlantic Salmon, Trout), etc.
If treatment started within couple days of chick being unable to stand, toes will straighten within a few days usually.
If treatment started later, toes may not recover & bird may need to be put down or die within 3-4 weeks.
Chick Shoes (see below) might also help.

Back
Top Bottom