Through-and-through midwesterner ready to keep backyard chickens!

What breed should I be sure to look for as a first-timer?

• Polish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Silky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

erstreetman

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2019
Omaha, NE
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I'm new, and doing as much homework as I can before I get my first chicks this spring

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
None - but I think three or four will fit in the backyard of our 9k sqft lot

(3) What breeds do you have?
I'm interested in finding chicks from local breeders, but depending on what I can find, may just get a couple of good layers from the Tractor Supply Co near me. Would love to have a Fancy breed like a silky or a Polish. Love laced feathers.
UPDATE: I am interested in egg-layers to start, but may consider dual-purpose breeds in the future. Gotta learn whether I'm OK with butchering first.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I guess we'll find out, huh?

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I am a scientist by day working with some emotionally heavy stuff, so I like to do a lot of homey hobbies as self care. Cooking, knitting, and gardening - with chickens added in to gardening and taking care of our dog.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
I grew up outside of Chicago, spent 2010-2017 in Michigan, and recently moved to Nebraska. So I'm thoroughly midwestern. Pass the ranch dressing!

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
Just found the community online while searching for resources, and I'm particularly interested in finding a NE or IA "chickenstock" or show where I can see some of the breeds that do well in our climate and find new feathered friends!

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock! :welcomeBYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for members on the BYC roost!
:highfive: What would be your prime purpose in chicken keeping? This is a important question to help you choose a breed. E.g. Buff Orpingtons are considered a dual purpose breed and are sweet natured.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Hello and welcome to BYC. Breed selection depends very much on your objectives - good layers, easy on the eye etc. These links may be helpful.

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html
https://www.backyard

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives . Ditto the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Welcome! This is a great place for everything chicken...and duck and turkey and quail, and well, just about everything with wings and some things without! There are some incredibly smart people here with good answers to questions.

Be careful with a single Polish in a flock. They often have their head feathers pecked at, pulled out, or broken off by the others. I didn't know that when I got my first chickens and the other 4 pecked her head to bald spots. Broke my heart. They eventually stopped with many many applications of a bad tasting goop sold for that purpose. But lots of people don't get as good results with it.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock! :welcomeBYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for members on the BYC roost!
:highfive: What would be your prime purpose in chicken keeping? This is a important question to help you choose a breed. E.g. Buff Orpingtons are considered a dual purpose breed and are sweet natured.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

I have updated my original post and am answering here - I am mostly interested in layers, but I am trying to convince myself that I would also enjoy dual-purpose hens.

Welcome! This is a great place for everything chicken...and duck and turkey and quail, and well, just about everything with wings and some things without! There are some incredibly smart people here with good answers to questions.

Be careful with a single Polish in a flock. They often have their head feathers pecked at, pulled out, or broken off by the others. I didn't know that when I got my first chickens and the other 4 pecked her head to bald spots. Broke my heart. They eventually stopped with many many applications of a bad tasting goop sold for that purpose. But lots of people don't get as good results with it.

That would be heartbreaking - consider me warned! And thank you

Back
Top Bottom