Throwing out a happy Southeast Texas chirp, purr, twirl from the chicks!

Howdy from south Texas šŸ¤ ! Welcome to BYC! :frow
Two of my 9 babies ((3wks old) are bielefelders, big girls and fast growing. I figured out of a mixed flock one of them would be top hen due to their size but I think my barred rock already claimed the title :lol:.

Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. Tell all your chirping, purring and twirling kids that we all say HI. Good for you, rescuing the little chicks. But yeah, that's chicken math for you.

Here is some information on building a new coop for them or enlarging your current coop!

Farmers Almanac on Building Coops (Includes size requirements!) Allowing plenty of space for chickens is really important because, even as chicks, they will start pecking each other or plucking their own feathers, or become unhealthy if they are overcrowded. Here is a link to Colorado State Extension's publication on space and temperature requirements for chicks as they age.

And Ventilation (important to chicken health), with helpful links to coop designs here at BYC, organized by climate (because what is just right for my New England hens won't work for my brother's Arizona chickens)

And just in case: Predator protection for new & existing coops

Best wishes from New England!

Back
Top Bottom