Throwing straw on her back

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
My hen Daenerys was making me laugh. She looks so silly. Has anyone ever seen a Chicken picking up pieces of hay or straw and throwing them on their back and continuing to do it. She was in the nest box just prior to that Just curious to know what she was doing and why

Attachments

• 1687781064027.png
    1687781064027.png
    90.7 KB · Views: 124
My hen Daenerys was making me laugh. She looks so silly. Has anyone ever seen a Chicken picking up pieces of hay or straw and throwing them on their back and continuing to do it. She was in the nest box just prior to that Just curious to know what she was doing and why
It's fairly common behaviour. The consensus is it's nesting behviour but what the exact purpose is isn't known.

So funny to watch one girl does it the most in nest box snd then gets out complaining when I am in there and walks around coop doing it

So funny to watch one girl does it the most in nest box snd then gets out complaining when I am in there and walks around coop doing it
I just posted the same question and then saw yours! We have a little gal who is doing the same thing. She walks around putting straw or shavings on her back away from her nest.

Back
Top Bottom