Throwing up water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChooksinIowa, Aug 20, 2008.

1. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Tonight I fed my new rescue a mixture of the following for her evening treat:

rolled oats
    cottage cheese
    a little swirl of olive oil
    cut up grapes
    fresh grated garlic
    a little chick crumbles mixed in

She devoured a bunch of it. Then she drank some water. She then threw up the water (not the food). Should I be worried? What is up with that?

Claire

p.s. My Red Rosie is a chicken I got from our local animal shelter. She was debeaked (completely) and is extremely skinny and underweight. She was found wandering around downtown and was taken in to the shelter. She is, I think, a red sexlink. Here is her picture.
    [​IMG]

2. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    when was she rescued? my friend's chickens have thrown up before b/c they were scared or too hot or such

best of luck-

jenny

3. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    I think that they can throw up the water if they drink to much to fast. I hope that she will be ok.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

My guess wolud be that with the end of her beak being right at her nostrils, she may have had some water go down wrong or something like that. I wouldn't be concerned.

5. ChooksinIowa

ChooksinIowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Van Meter, Iowa
    Thanks all - she seems fine this morning. She was rescued 2 days ago. She may still be getting used to actually having food available, because she was picked up wandering the streets about 3 days before I adopted her. Maybe she ate too much of her night-night treats too fast, and then the water didn't have anywhere to go. I'm glad that she has normal activity this morning and normal appetite for her little bits of bread that I soak in water for her. She is such a sweet chicken. I will still be keeping an eye out for any problems.
    Claire

6. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Poor little Rosie. Bless you for taking her.

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    i've had about.. 5 chickens do this. Can happen from A, too hot. B. drinking too fast, Could be more. but i've never seen/heard of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by