Thrush, pox, canker. Not sure?!?!

Webb81

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Hi, I am fairly née to caring for chickens and one of my ladies is sick. She is a growth in her mouth. She’s lethargic, losing weight and is having trouble eating and drinking. I e researched and can’t figure out if it’s canker, pox or thrush.... I need help. Maybe someone knows a vet in northern NJ?!

Hi, I am fairly née to caring for chickens and one of my ladies is sick. She is a growth in her mouth. She’s lethargic, losing weight and is having trouble eating and drinking. I e researched and can’t figure out if it’s canker, pox or thrush.... I need help. Maybe someone knows a vet in northern NJ?!
Can you post pictures? We can't help you that well if we don't see the bird.

Fowl pox would be usual this time of year in NJ unless you had pox in your chickens late in the Fall, since it is spread by mosquitoes and in inhaled shed scabs that have been left behind. Pictures are needed. Do you notice a bad odor from the beak? Canker usually causes cheesy yellow foul smelling growths in the beak, throat, and down to the crop.

Last edited:
Canker is very common where pigeons or wild birds drink from waterers. It is treated by with anti-protozoan drugs such as metronidazole or ronidazole. Fish Zole is readily available online. Wet fowl pox can look similar, but has not odor. A fungal or yeast infection is sometimes seen if the chicken has been on antibiotics or has had a fungal infection. Tumors can alao sometimes invade the beak. A vet could help determine if it is something infectious.

Back
Top Bottom