Thunderstorms

I hope the learning happens sooner rather than later
lol! I'm only a year into chickens, but I've found out that I learn new things all the time, sometimes good, sometimes bad. This forum is a great place to find information and support!

Glad you got them out of the rain. Remember those phrases "hen witted', "dumb cluck" and "bird brain"??? I have one hen that I called Clueless until I found a much nicer name for her!

lol! I'm only a year into chickens, but I've found out that I learn new things all the time, sometimes good, sometimes bad. This forum is a great place to find information and support!

Glad you got them out of the rain. Remember those phrases "hen witted', "dumb cluck" and "bird brain"??? I have one hen that I called Clueless until I found a much nicer name for her!
I'm just starting week 3 tomorrow and I LOVE them beyond words. Everyday there sure is something new to think about. The coop I carefully designed and talked and talked with my husband about? Yea, they hate their perches and preferred the 2x4 between the studs so we made that more comfy for them. The perches are in front of a big window so I'm trying to figure out how I can create a shade or something for it for the top of it at night time. Always something to think about. They are encouraging me to get up early on weekends and eat better though lol Buying more veggies for snacks and eating them too!

I'm just starting week 3 tomorrow and I LOVE them beyond words. Everyday there sure is something new to think about. The coop I carefully designed and talked and talked with my husband about? Yea, they hate their perches and preferred the 2x4 between the studs so we made that more comfy for them. The perches are in front of a big window so I'm trying to figure out how I can create a shade or something for it for the top of it at night time. Always something to think about. They are encouraging me to get up early on weekends and eat better though lol Buying more veggies for snacks and eating them too!
jumpy.gif
I know exactly what you mean! I went out for 5 chicks and came home with 9... it just got worse and worse, or better and better. I have 6 of the original girls, 5 pullets who are 20 weeks old, 1 rooster that is 20 weeks old that I hatched, 3 that are 12 weeks old, 4 that are 5 weeks old, 3 that are 1 week old tomorrow, and there are 3 pipped eggs in the incubator, with 4 more expected in a week... I think that I've got it pretty bad!
lau.gif

I've actually started selling chicks on a small basis!

Just an fyi, unless there is light going through that window at night, you don't need a shade for it. Chickens like to be high up, or to be on wider roosts. I started out with round ones like closet poles, but now they have 2x4s so that they sit on the wide part.

My coop gets rearranged all the time as I try new things out. It's part of the fun of the whole thing!

Yup, eating lots more fruit and veggies here too!

You want the roost wide enough they can cover their feet up when they stand on it in the winter. I love my chickens too. I was so surprised at how much I love them.

You want the roost wide enough they can cover their feet up when they stand on it in the winter. I love my chickens too. I was so surprised at how much I love them.
My husband did NOT want chickens. Now he is the most protective person in the family! He rescued a pullet from a hawk and we nursed her back to health. She died recently from a respiratory illness and he was devastated. He thinks that the flock is funny, but the original girls are his favorites, and they run to him when they see him coming!

Who knew!???

:jumpy I know exactly what you mean! I went out for 5 chicks and came home with 9... it just got worse and worse, or better and better. I have 6 of the original girls, 5 pullets who are 20 weeks old, 1 rooster that is 20 weeks old that I hatched, 3 that are 12 weeks old, 4 that are 5 weeks old, 3 that are 1 week old tomorrow, and there are 3 pipped eggs in the incubator, with 4 more expected in a week... I think that I've got it pretty bad! :lau

I've actually started selling chicks on a small basis!

Just an fyi, unless there is light going through that window at night, you don't need a shade for it. Chickens like to be high up, or to be on wider roosts. I started out with round ones like closet poles, but now they have 2x4s so that they sit on the wide part. 

My coop gets rearranged all the time as I try new things out. It's part of the fun of the whole thing!

Yup, eating lots more fruit and veggies here too!

Yea, I can see how it could get out of control rather quickly. I love these guys!

I'm hoping I can eventually start charging eggs and selling too a wee bit on the side

The only reason I was considering covering the window was because they aren't using their perches in front of it. I thought maybe they felt exposed or something.

I would love to know what goes on in a chicken brain

When I realized my chickens weren't sleeping on their roosts I quickly got a two by four on the side where they were going so they are more comfortable.
It is shocking how quickly you can get attached to them eh? It's their fun little personalities

My husband did NOT want chickens. Now he is the most protective person in the family! He rescued a pullet from a hawk and we nursed her back to health. She died recently from a respiratory illness and he was devastated. He thinks that the flock is funny, but the original girls are his favorites, and they run to him when they see him coming! 

Who knew!???

Love it! It was a bit of work to get chickens allowed on the farm here too but now that they are here I catch my father in law having afternoon coffee with them when I get home from work

Love it! It was a bit of work to get chickens allowed on the farm here too but now that they are here I catch my father in law having afternoon coffee with them when I get home from work
Lucky you! You live on a farm... I am so jealous! We have an acre in a residential neighborhood. Chickens are allowed, but not roosters... I checked with my neighbors and they are all cool with them, but who knows when that will change.

We love our property but not the taxes! Just can't figure out where to move to, and youngest kid has 2 more years of college - no reason we have to stay - he is in an apartment, but it's nice to have him bopping in every once in a while :)

Coffee with the girls is the best!

BTW, chickens have no sense of privacy! My 20 year old son asked me why the rooster was attacking the hen and I had to explain the chicken facts of life to him! You should have seen his face! Now he introduces all his friends to the girls, and gets to explain Kaiser's behavior. Their faces are hysterical too!
gig.gif

Our chicks will go inside for rain/storms, but if we check on them while it's raining, we get a lot of vocal protests as I guess they think we can stop it. :p

Back
Top Bottom