Thwarting chicken engineer corps

Barry42001

Songster
Jan 14, 2016
Venus, Florida. 33960
It seems almost inevitable that every time you try and do something inside the chicken coop to make things a little better for the chickens the first thing they do is destroy it if they can't destroy it they defecate on it the defecation I can live with the mangling what you spent hours doing kind of bothers me. I'm just trying to figure out a way to feed the chicken Corps of Engineers

I feel ya there. I try to let them out for a free range if I need to do anything or they will surely be there to "help" me. Like then cleaning the coop or run. I rake them a pile in the compost pile or bust out the tiller and turn up some dirt as a distraction. I'm not sure theres a away to keep them for destroying all your hard work. What did they destroy? They are professional mess makers ya know lol

Geese are no better. With our recent cold snap, I dug out the electric waterers and installed one in Gussie and Golly's coop (they are awaiting transfer to the new goose house that I have ALMOST finished building). The water wasn't in the coop for an hour when they figured out how to unplug it. When I rearranged the wire-wrapped cord so the plug was just outside the door; they managed to tip over the waterer.

There is now a flexible black rubber dish in their house, and their faithful caretaker runs out several times a day to break the ice out of it.

Perches of tree limbs wire tied and bungee corded together. The nesting boxes on cinder blocks wire tied to coop fencing. Angled fence boards to prevent chickens from perching on top of nesting boxes fouling the top. So chicken engineer Corp dug under cinder blocks nearly destabilizing nest boxes lol still not certain how they managed to collapse some of the perches
20170319_140715.jpg

Well, wire can be fine depending on installation....bungies, not so much.

The excavating is indeed frustrating!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/excavation-by-birds-a-word-of-warning.1086535/
I've found that putting 2x8x16 pavers under vertical concrete blocks does wonders to quell them.

I had to put 2x8x16 pavers vertically (8" down) held in place with 18" rebar to keep them from digging under the run door threshold.
Before the reinforcements....need to get an 'after' pic:
upload_2018-11-14_11-21-25.png

Back
Top Bottom