Thyroid Disease suffers

Very interesting posts! And yes, it is nice to hear from other sufferers, I'm not the only one struggling with this.

A little on my situation- I was diagnosed with hypothyroid six years ago, after I had my first child. I was devastated, being one who didn't like the idea of taking a pill every day. My Dr. also shrugged it off saying it was common and easy to control with the meds. She also said never to take the generic so I always request Synthroid even though the pharmacist thinks I'm crazy. I got over the not wanting to take a daily pill when I found out how much better I could feel when the hormonal balance was back in check.

Over the past couple years though I've struggled, I can't seem to get the balance back. I just had my dosage changed and I'm due to have the levels checked again. I know it will be off. I can't even go up a flight of stairs without breaking a sweat (and no, I'm not that horribly out of shape), I even sweat buckets when I sleep at night. It's like a permanent fever. I will certainly be asking about this Armour product the next time I go in.

i was diagnosed with hperthyroid i belive it was? and put on Synthroid. they tested my blood regularly for two years. last year i went to the doctors for somthing unrealated and mentioned that i hadnt had my blood tested in awhile. he told me he found nothing in my blood indicative of hypertyroids, and asked how long id been off my meds (synthroid) when i informed him id never taken it, because i dont belive in pills fixing natures problums, we got into a small argument (as i often do with my med beliefs) and he told me to come back in for testing, long story short i dont have insurence so i didnt, and i feel fine, wether or not i have it.

Wow i just realized that was kindof a pointless ramble.

Westernchicks, have you had your esterogin checked? When sweats happened to me it was from early change. Doctor told me one off hormone affects another. She put me on Clonidine, a blood pressure pill that really does help those sweats.

I have a polling question....
Do you folks with HYPO Thryroidism have problems with cyclical migraines?

I do and was wondering if there was a connection...it starts in my neck and then slowly moves upward to my head. I can feel it coming on every month.

Maybe I'm just trying to make connections that are not there...but these migraines are TERRIBLE>

Please post your thoughts???

I just wanted to chime in and say "me too."
smile.png
I was borderline for years before I put on synthroid. It helps a lot, but I still have symptoms. Last spring my pharmacist switched me to a generic brand and I started gaining weight like crazy and felt so foggy and tired. Now that I'm back on the synthroid I'm feeling much better (although the dang weight has stayed with me.) I've gained a lot of weight over the last 7 or so years with this and I eat less and better than almost everyone I know. Anyone ever had any luck with losing weight with hypothyroidism?

Angie The same thing happened to me I put on 50+ pounds since January. I was on the generic brand . I also noticed that if I didnt eat I would get the shakes and feel faint. The doctors said it sounded like sugar. Guess what it was just another symtom of the generic levothyroxin. I just ordered the book Eat right for your blood type by Peter D'Adamo from Amazon I have talked with many people who have tried his advice and they have lost weight with this. He tells you what foods to adoid for your thyroid and what foods will give you additional energy. He also has a diet book out. It only cost me 2.68 plus shipping to get a used copy if it works it will be worth gold to me.
Cheeptrick They say its the hormone inbalance that causes migraines. It happens after your monthly as the levels are at the lowest. The first time I was on Levothyroxine I had very strange headaches. It felt like a tingling burning hot spsots in the back of my head. Doctor had me take an MIR of course it was negative Thankfully he had also done blood work and changed mdy med to Synthroid and after a few weeks the pains went away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
No not at all! I am doing the same thing now. I am on an experiment. I discontinued the Levoxyl I have been on for years (without telling my Dr. because she would get mad) and going to see if my blood levels are OK. If they are OK, well, hooray! I won't have to take the pills which I hate to take!

Henspa! Thank you. I just posted before reading. Thank you for your advice. I did not realize it could cause a stroke. I should probably not be messing around with this. My Mother is not happy with me. I do have a feeling I will be back on the meds but will request the Synthroid after reading this.

Whew....

Yes, Hypo and Hyperthyroid can cause migraines.

The sweating could be an adrenal problem, or menopause for sure. I take Cortisol when I need adrenal support. You can read about it online or talk to your doctor.

The Blood Type Diet did wonders for me! I lost 30+ pounds since I started it June 07.

Cruciferrous veggies such as raw broccoli and cauliflower contain thiocyanate, a goitrogen, which has thyroid-inhibiting effects.

Other foods that contain goiterogenic compounds are brussel sprouts, cabbage, kale, mustard greens, collard greens, spinach, turnips, rutabagas, kohlrabi, radishes, rapini, canola, cassava, soy, corn, sweet potatoes, lima beans, peanuts, pine nuts, peaches, pears, strawberries and millet.

These can all still be eaten, but in smaller amounts and not constantly. If you cook broccoli and cauliflower, it will mitigate some of the goitrogenic effects.

If you are hypothyroid and do not take the medications appropriately, you could get very, very sick. If you are borderline and don't take the meds, it can lead to becoming more and more hypothyroid over time.

chickabee19, I was wondering what is GERD that you spoke of before. Also, what does it mean when the nodules you have are cold? What do they do about the nodules? I am going to look into the blood type diet as well. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge on this.

Back
Top Bottom