Thyroid Disease suffers

I went to 3 different doctors before I was diagnosed with hyper thyroid, and that was with having a huge goiter! I think a lot of doctors are just in it for the money, and don't really care.

I think this is far more common than we know. When I first got a thyroid problem I had a goiter that showed up in photos across my whole neck. I weighed 120 pounds.

I went to the doctor who told me (remember, this is a huge goiter), "Oh, that's just a lymph gland".

Four months later I said "gosh, this 'lymph gland' sure is long-lived, you know?" He said "Give it a while more".

By then I weighed 140 pounds.

A FULL YEAR later I made an appointment, went in and said "this is my thyroid gland, which I found out by going to the library and looking in a medical book". (back then we didn't have home computers).

He said: "I think you're right. I'm sorry to say I think you know more about it now than I do. I'll waive the last year of medical bills (LOTS cause I was sick the whole time), if you won't come back to my office".

By then I weighed 160 pounds.

I think he was afraid I'd sue him. It didn't occur to me.

Later a doctor friend told me that if it HAD been a lymph gland that big, she would have put me in the hospital for tests!​

Last edited:
Quote:
Sam's / Costco's have them in the vitamin section. Big bottle. Just cinnamon in clear capsules so you can swallow easier. I tried cinnamon toast for awhile before I knew they did these pills. And cinnamon in my coffee. It wasn't a pretty sight, breakfast at my place!! Smelled like Christmas potpourri...

Another plus: your breath smells lovely for awhile with that much cinnamon in you:)

cheeptrick wrote :
Have others noticed their menstrual cycles changing with their thyroid diagnosis?

Yes maam ! When I am hyper my periods are 1 - 3 days and barely there and when my thyroid levels are under control its 5 - 6 days in normal.

This is a normal part of thyroid disease, with hyper you have very light period and hypo you can have a very heavy long one.​

I'm pretty sure I'm hyper...but I think I fluctuate. I have such a tough time sleeping the last 5-6 months.....NOTHING works....dr wanted to give me ambien.....NO way....I do not like to take medicine........which is why my migraines get so terrible...I just deal with it....whimpering in a dark room!

I ordered the Thyroid Supplement.....I will definitely report back!!

I didn't take my thyroid meds last night and I don't have a headache today!! I'm still hazy feeling but nothing like before.

I'm having problems finding the cimmimon pills. DH is going to GNC. Sams didn't have any of course my husband has problems finding stuff at Sams.

jackie

Just received my monthly newsletter about Thyroid treatments thought you might be interested. I just copied one article.Its alitttle long sorry

The Claim: Synthroid is the Best Thyroid Hormone Replacement Drug
By Mary Shomon, About.com
Updated: February 22, 2007

About.com Health's Disease and Condition content is reviewed by our Medical Review Board
See More About:levothyroxinethyroid treatment challengesthyroid drugscontroversies in thyroid diseasesynthroidQuestion: The Claim: Synthroid is the Best Thyroid Hormone Replacement Drug

If you are hypothyroid, your doctor will probably prescribe Synthroid. This levothyoxine (synthetic thyroxine) drug, made by Abbott Labs, is the top-selling thyroid drug in the U.S., commanding some two-thirds of the market for thyroid replacement. Synthroid is, however, often more costly than its competitors.

Some doctors won't hear of prescribing anything but Synthroid however, and claim unequivocally that "Synthroid is the best."

Is That So?

Answer: Levothyroxine is the synthetic form of T4, one of the two main hormones the thyroid produces. The most widely prescribed levothyroxine product is the brand name Synthroid.

Given that levothyroxine is the conventional medical world's accepted treatment for hypothyroidism, most patients will find themselves prescribed levothyroxine, and usually Synthroid.

Synthroid's manufacturer has at times claimed their drug to be better than its competitors, but research proved Synthroid to be merely bioequivalent -- or equal, in terms of what function they perform in the body -- to their competition, rather than better. This claim of superiority, therefore, actually has no merit.

Many doctors, however, still erroneously believe that Synthroid is "better," after being subject to years of this misleading advertising message.

All the major brandname levothyroxine products, Synthroid, Unithroid, Levoxyl and Levothroid, have different fillers and binders, so people may have different allergic responses to the different brands. So, if you react to one levothyroxine, your doctor might want to try other brands to see if you react to those brands as well.

Some people who are on levothyroxine also need the addition of the second key hormone, T3. Among that group, some people do best with the T3 drug Cytomel. Anecdotally, however, some patients have reported allergic reactions to Cytomel. The option, compounded or time-released compounded T3, has been used successfully by other patients, but there have been concerns about these products, due to inconsistent production. Other doctors and patients prefer a product known as Thyrolar, a synthetic combination of T4 and T3.

Some patients do best on natural desiccated thyroid drugs, such as Armour thyroid, or, in some cases, people find the hypoallergenic formula of natural drug, Nature-throid, works best for them. (Pork allergies, however, may make these products problematic for some patients. There are some patients and practitioners who are also concerned about these products due to fears of prion-related diseases such as Mad Cow Disease, despite manufacturer assurances that these products are safe.)

So is Synthroid, or any thyroid drug, better than the others? I think Dr. Richard Shames, a Boca Raton, Florida holistic practitioner and co-author of Thyroid Power and Fat, Fuzzy and Frazzled? -- who has treated thyroid conditions for a quarter century -- has the best advice for patients.

"In 25 years of practice, I have found that it doesn't necessarily matter which kind of thyroid hormone you start with so much, as which kind you end up with after trying several different types to see which one works best for you. Initially, I typically recommend whatever type they have either heard about, have a "gut-feeling" about, know family members who have a good response to a particular kind of medicine, or have a philosophical inclination for one kind or another. Sometimes it it the combination of two or three of the above medicines that proves to be the magic solution for a particular person. If the initial item tried does not give 85-95% improvement, I then encourage the person to either add something to their first choice product or discontinue it and start something totally new. It is my firm belief that the state of the art in finding the optimal medicine is still trial and error."

The answer is, the best drug is the drug which safely makes you feel your best. And there's no predetermined formula to tell which drug will be the best for you, until you try them, find optimal doses, and see how you do over time.

Mary Shomon, About.com's Thyroid Guide

Hi. I am new to this site.
About three years ago, I developed hypothydism. I was put on Synthroid (my body doesn't agree well with generic). About six months later, my doctor made a mistake and doubled my dose instead of cutting it in half. My body is sensitive to medication and I usually require less than therapeutic levels so doubling instead of halving caused havoc. He never admitted to it and blamed me and my GP for the mix-up. I refused to see him after that and continued to be followed by my GP. We monitored my levels and when they were within normal range for an extended period, we stopped my meds.
About a year ago, while at the gym, I realized something was wrong. I had noticed I was getting serious palpitations that took a while to subside, I had a very noticeable tremor, and I felt hyper all the time. I was losing weight (a good thing for me) and was in a near-euphoric state all the time - two positive side-effects! Unfortunately, it was getting harder and harder to control the heart rate and I was nauseous all the time. We found out I was hyperthyroid. Nails and hair became brittle, skin and hair dry.
I am now on medications but have gained weight. After gaining 125 lbs over a two-year period, I lost 90 lbs in two years and am not all that interested in gaining any of it. The endocrinologist said most people with hyperthyroidism gain weight (some lose but more gain) because people's metabolisms are in high gear and they get hungry all the time. So, now I oay even closer attention to when, what, and time I eat. I have developed osteoarthritis and plantar fasciitis in the last year and exercise is now very limited.
Despite this, I am a happy camper. I live with this and cope very well. It could be a lot worse and I feel I am managing well.

Hyper gains weight? Not in my case, the horrible diarrhea I had prevented me from doing anything but lose - I wasn't retaining any of the nutrition of what I ate. Sometimes I really wonder if these doctors think before they speak
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom