Tick bite on dh

Drivegirl54

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Winder, GA
Dh pulled a tick off of his belly the other day and now he has a small red bulls eye type of rash that seems to be spreading. He feels fine and hasn't complained of any discomfort so I was surprised to see it there tonight. Should we be worried and heading to the dr tomorrow? Anyone have any experience with these nasty things?
I know lyme disease is nasty but he's not exhibiting any signs of it so I hate to jump the gun.

Yep definitely go to the doc... do not put it off. My friend suffers from lyme disease and it can do some long term, lasting damage. Nip it in the bud now. Also next time, save the tick.

Nancy

Go to the Dr.s ASAP. We just went through this with my DD (she's 3) and I myself have Chronic Lyme Disease that I was diagnosed with about 7 years ago.
Lyme Disease can sit dormant in your body for years with no symptoms and then BAM come out of nowhere and knock you to the ground! It is a nasty, nasty disease. I had it for over 10 years without ever knowing it and then it darn near killed me.
The quicker he gets on antibiotics the better! Preferably something from the cycline family (doxycycline, etc.), Cipro is good too.
Did you know that there are sub-infections that you can get with Lyme Disease? Bartonella, and Babesosis to name a couple... Most people do not only get Lyme Disease from a tick bite, Lyme Disease goes hand in hand with these other diseases. Have him checked for them specifically.
Only about half of people get the characteristic "bullseye" rash but it's sure thing when it comes to pointing to Lyme Disease. Be thankful he got it and you can get prompt treatment, if the rash hadn't shown up you probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. I never got the rash.
He should only need to be on something for 7-10 days as long as he doesn't show up with a fever (usually one of the first symptoms) or any joint pain/headaches.

Get to the Doctor now!!! I rescently had a tick bite myself, this tick had embedded itself on my ear and in the middle of the night it woke me up, I found it and disposed of it. The very next morning my ear was not only itching but it was swollen and hot from fever. My hubby took me to the doctor, it required a shot of antibiotics in the bum and almost 2 weeks of antibiotics pills. This was the 1st time my system reacted to a tick bite. Good Luck!

YUCKY I hate ticks. My kids get them about 3 times during the year. Thankfully nothing has ever become of a bite. I would definatly make my hubby go to the DR. if he started having symtpoms. Good Luck to you guys!

Thanks guys, dh went to the dr a little while ago and was told they didn't think he has lyme but they did give him antibiotics. They told him it's too early to test for it. I'm really glad he went b/c I have a friend who got lyme disease a few years ago and she's still pretty bad off because they didn't catch it soon enough.

Last edited:
I just saw that you are in GA. I think the doctors say that because there have not been that many reported cases of lyme in this area. I got told the exact same thing when I got a bullseye rash, and had to ask can you please give me the antibiotics.

My parents friend in North Carolina has to travel several states away to find a doctor to treat his chronic lymes disease because all the doctors he tried in NC said they don't have lymes there so he must have something else.

Back
Top Bottom