Tick with Lone Star Tick attached to its Waddle

finnegan2006

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 16, 2012
Having been suffering from Chronic Lyme disease (as a human) I am well versed on ticks and their types.

Last night I noticed a Texas Lone Star tick fully attached and semi engorged on my RIR's hen's waddle. Her enitre right side of her face and waddle were completely swollen (that is how I noticed an issue).. The tick was at the base, somewhat inside of her waddle. I at first thought the hen had an abcess or infection.

The Texas Lone Star tick is a larger tick that is more known to attach to dogs, cats, horses, and humans. It is not a poultry tick.

I have saved the tick (that is what use Lyme disease people do unfortunately). In my entire 10 years of having chickens, I have never seen a tick attached to a hen. Plus, it is very early in the tick season for us here in NC. Usually its the nymp ticks (the baby size ticks) that are out around this time.

I am concerned for a few reasons. First, this tick has obviously caused an issue with the hen. She is alert and is out and about today but her waddle is still very swollen but not as much as last night. Second, are her eggs safe to eat. Lyme disease can be spread in utero so I am concerned about eating this hens particular eggs. Also, is there anything I can to treat this hen?

Thanks for all your help.

Just a quick search suggests that chickens infected with the Lyme disease spirochete carry it for a few weeks but older chickens for much less time. I don't know if it could be transmitted through the egg or not. It seems like your hen is mounting an immune response to whatever it picked up from the tick. Unfortunately, ticks carry a lot of other pathogens in addition to Lyme disease. I'm not sure what you can do to alleviate the swelling other than just wait and keep an eye on her. Hopefully others will have some suggestions on how to help her.

Your post made me think of this chicken's recent encounter with a tick.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom