Tidbits in the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Canada and I don't think it's their place to arrest Bush. Now if the international court issued a warrant then that would be something different.

The funding of AI is raised as a red herring. The raise funs to do their work, not the other way around.

Arrests can be made by the ICC or the country in which it is alleged that war crimes were committed. If AI believe, also, that a sovereign power can arrest a foreigner on charges of war crimes in another country, then I'm prepared to accept that they know what they are taking about. I suspect, though, that AI is merely drawing to the attention of the public the apparent fact that suspected criminals from small countries are arrested but those from more powerful countries seem to be exempt.

They would not be able to just waltz in here and get him. The accusations are unsubstantiated anyhow.

I think it's accepted that foreigners aren't allowed to waltz around Dubbya in the US. He prefers the social company of the 'Mores and Have Mores' remember'
lol.png
That's why AI suggested that he should be arrested elsewhere. However, the US government could arrest him and hand him over. Likewise, the British Government could arrest Bliar. It ain't gonna happen, though, is it?

Chickened, what are the accusations to which you refer and why do you believe that they are unsubstantiated?

Did you know American Law goes outside of its boarders on American Citizens? If theoretically there were a country with cannabis legal there and an American citizen smoked it they could be arrested when arriving back to the US.

I think it's accepted that foreigners aren't allowed to waltz around Dubbya in the US. He prefers the social company of the 'Mores and Have Mores' remember'
lol.png
That's why AI suggested that he should be arrested elsewhere. However, the US government could arrest him and hand him over. Likewise, the British Government could arrest Bliar. It ain't gonna happen, though, is it?

Chickened, what are the accusations to which you refer and why do you believe that they are unsubstantiated?

I think he was referring to the accusations in the AI story. If the accusations were substantiated why has nobody went to the world court for a warrant ?

I think he was referring to the accusations in the AI story. If the accusations were substantiated why has nobody went to the world court for a warrant ?

I think that's obvious. The same reason why Bliar hasn't been charged. Can you imagine the uproar? The security agencies of both countries would do their best to block it for fear of having to reveal their files and upset the status quo. Take the lie about weapons of mass destruction, for example.

There's a case in the UK of a Northern Ireland family that wants an enquiry into the disappearance of their mother (a single mother with eight children, I think) during 'The Troubles'. An ex-IRA member has said that she was abducted, 'interrogated' and probably murdered by the IRA. He implicated Gerry Adams. Adams is now involved as a politician in the 'Peace Process' and any revelation about what he might have been up to in the past would possibly ruin that. The children, now adults, spoke to the present Prime Minister who, they say, waved his arms around and said that there were people around him who would prevent an enquiry into their mother's disappearance.

Small timers are caught, sometimes, and tried but the establishment of the major powers would protect their own. Remember, only the losers are seen as the bad guys.

Would never happen.Easier to just ignore the mistakes and lies and move on.In a few years something else will focus our attention,and all that was done will be white washed and forgotten.Such is the history of humans.

Would never happen.Easier to just ignore the mistakes and lies and move on.In a few years something else will focus our attention,and all that was done will be white washed and forgotten.Such is the history of humans.

Tell that to the innocent victims and their families.

AI was founded in the 60's when human rights were still infringed upon. Those days are for the most part behind us thankfully. These non-profits have a tendency to morph into other entities when they either get too big or begin the inevitable downward spiral of greed and power grabbing behavior that seems to plague mankind regardless of his attempts of compassion and nobility.

AI would be wise to choose thier battles carefully or they may go the way of the United Way or other non-profits of the past.

Maybe AI should preach "love thy neighbor" instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom