Timberwolves and cougars...

centavo71

In the Brooder
10 Years
Aug 20, 2009
Northern Alberta
A week or so ago, we spotted a couple timber wolves very close to our home and then a few days ago, a neighbour stopped in to let us know that they spotted a cougar within 50 feet of our acreage. I knew there were cougars around but I have to admit the timber wolves took me by surprise.

Our dear dog is really good about barking when she hears/sees ANYTHING and usually keeps them at bay. Last fall she treed a bear in our yard, just in front of our front door.

So yes, a question. Are cougars and the wolves far more concerned with big prey (deer, moose etc) than my wee chickens or should I be concerned? Half of my chickens free range. I just think that if a large animal like that wanted into my coop, they would get in, you know...it would have to be a lot more secure than it is now...probably more secure than I could make it.

Wolves and cougars are becoming a problem here too. When winter hits and game becomes scarce, they may view your chickens as an easy meal. That is why I got a true LGD, that has enough size and bark to hopefully deter these creatures from crossing over the electric fence.

Both will go after small game. Many years ago I was travelling across northern Canada. I was in the middle of nowhere and there were small rabbits as far as the headlights would shine, like a moving carpet. I thought I hit one when I heard a thump, so I stopped and looked. Never found anything. As I got back in the running car, my friend says "look" and standing over the hood of my car looking in at us was a very big, skinny wolf. Just the windsheild between us. Not afraid of us or the car. I was very glad to be getting in at the moment. Shut the door and just looked at it for a few seconds until it took off after the rabbits. My friend said " we're not stopping for anymore rabbits". Lol.

And here (Seattle) the cougars are more and more common. There's one running around microsoft city, and a few weeks ago one was caught and relocated out of an urban park in Seattle. F & G says they are eating cats and small dogs.
So be cautious and vigilant.

Imp- Still don't know what I would've done if I'd found a hurt rabbit.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh my! What a frightening story. That gave me the shivers.

When I was living in Spokane Washington there was a news story about a cougar who attacked a young boy. The father of the boy punched the cougar and it ran off. I remember the story because it struck me as very brave of the dad. That was 10 or 11 years ago.

Last edited:
Thanks for your responses. I must admit that I am becoming increasingly worried about the cougar issue. Moreso for my kids than my chickens as I have heard numerous stories about them going after small kids. Our kids are 3,5,7,12. I am trying to start drawing my free rangers in and eventually hope to let them out only in the penned in area. I am afraid they may be drawing the cougars TO our home..that is a bit frightening.

That wolf/rabbit story - yikes! I live in northern Alberta, Canada.

I will tell you about MY timberwolf story. I was driving into town and had barely left my driveway when I noticed a strange looking 'dog' in the ditch. I was trying to figure out what it was when I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that a trucker had stopped on the road right where it was so I turned my truck around to go have another look. I figured that if I wasn't the only one thinking it was strange...it must be SOMETHING worth another look
wink.png
So I parked by him on the road and saw what he was looking at. There was a 2nd one that had been hit on the other side of the road. It was interesting to see it up close like that. I look a few pictures with my cell phone. Then I thought these sort of thoughts...'oh isn't it sad, that other wolf lost a pack member'...that must be why it is hanging around. So anyway...hours later I was on my way home from down and low and behold, the other timberwolf was back...eating the dead one! I stopped again and much to my son's chagrin, got out to take a couple pictures...he just stared up at me and then went back to eating his buddy. Nice. Too bad my cell takes such crappy pics, or I would put them on here!

We don't have many wolves here. I think they are trying to reintroduce the Mexican grey wolves back in AZ but around here I haven't seen or heard of anyone seeing them. We do have mountain lions (cougars). Last year an old lion wondered into the middle of the elementary school in the middle of the day. A teacher was walking out from her class room and saw the mountain lion standing there in the grass. They locked down all three schools in town and game and fish came. They moved her back out to the desert. Once they get old they can't run as fast to catch there prey, so an easy meal is prime for an old lion. Also mother lions can teach there young with smaller animals.

So if they have been spotted around your area then just keep an eye out. I large dog would be a good addiction to your household also. We have two, a lab and a heeler/pit/lab mix.

Most of the time they are more scared of you.
wink.png

Fortunately we do have a fair sized dog and she is really good at keeping things at bay. My husband is looking at a great pyrenees/australian cattle dog cross pup after work today as well. He has been at me about getting a 2nd dog for a long time now...maybe now is the time.

A cougar by a school would be a scary thing. We had a bear across the road from the school last week...I have heard conflicting stories from my kiddos but I think that it was moved as well!

Back
Top Bottom