Time for a gun...help me choose the right one?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
So...off the subject of chickens (kind of)...for dispatching predators caught in cage, or in the act of attacking, and also because I'm ready to start doing some hunting, it's time to get a gun. Money is somewhat of an issue, and I may go walmart, or used via classifieds, but suggestions for a gun that's going to cost me 1k won't be helpful ;-)

Hunting deer would be down the road some, might require a different gun? I don't know, I'll leave that up to those of you who post. So, the main targets would be predators like coon and possum, maybe the occasional neighbor dog whose owner isn't smart enough to keep it controlled. But also turkey, wild boar...and anything else smallish in our area that I should kill and eat, LOL! Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I use a 12 ga. shotgun because if the shot is not 100% accurate the pattern will at least injure the animal, and odds are it will not be coming back for more of that. You can pick a fairly decent one up for under $300 new or under $200 used. Like The Lazy L said a .22 is also a good option assuming you can get relatively close and are a crack shot! If you are dealing with protected predators like Hawks and things of the sort you can also shoot an explosive round out of a 12 ga. that will frighten the hawk without killing it.

I agree that a .22 is a great rifle for small predators like racoons and possums. A 12 guage shotgun would also be good, but the shells are much more expensive than .22 rounds. You should be able to shoot a .22 for several hours for just a few dollars. I have a Ruger 10/22 with a 15.00 scope on it and I love it. A Ruger 10/22 is about 160.00 - 200.00 for a new one and you can buy .22 rounds in bulk at Wal Mart.

For a rifle that will be used as you describe your absolute best choice is a Ruger 10/22. Cheap, accurate and
deadly on most predators. I have a scope on mine and I can take the head off of a rat at 50 yards.

PS: That is NOT a 10/22 that I am holding in my Avatar picture.

Last edited:
You'll only use a shotgun ONCE to kill an animal in a trap before you realize it's a terrible idea

Get a good 22, then practice, and you'll be able to do what you want to do out to about 100 yds.

The deer gun will have to come later

I was thinking the Marlin 60 or the Ruger 10/22. I have see the two often compared.Both might be sold at walmart and most sporting stores.
I watched videos on various guns,and darn they are all so loud.Neighbrs would have the police at my door in minutes if I shot anything off.

The animals you named will not be able to be taken out with the same gun. The smaller ones certainly will succumb to the 10/22. Although the coon will need a well placed shot. The deer and the boar, will that's a different league. The boar I don't think I would chance lighter than a 44 mag pistol, or a .308 Ruger rifle. Well, really any .308 that is dead on accurate. A wounded boar will kill you so fast you can't react.

For deer I had a gunsmith friend of mine build my oldest boy a custom .243. That does very well on deer, but never tried in on boar. Just might do the job there too.
smile.png

.22 Long Rifle. In any of the popular models on sale. Marlin, Remington, Ruger.

Like a previous poster mentioned. The time to learn to use your brand new gun is not when you have the coon/possum/cat/dog/ whatever cornered. Buy the gun get a "brick" of ammunition and practice, practice.

Back
Top Bottom