Time for a gun...help me choose the right one?

You'll only use a shotgun ONCE to kill an animal in a trap before you realize it's a terrible idea

Get a good 22, then practice, and you'll be able to do what you want to do out to about 100 yds.

The deer gun will have to come later

Couldn't of said it any better then this. I'm a big fan of 22LR, I prefer single shot bolt action-----you can use 22 short, long, or long rifle.

Dark matter, I see you have a coon in your trap. My question is - what did you use for bait in the trap? I had some hens killed and I've seen a raccoon and a bobcat in a tree by my coop.. Of course neither time did I have my gun :( Needless to say, I built me a trap and have been baiting it first with dry dog food, no luck after a few days, then wet dog food for a few more, and finally last night I dropped a few loose marshmellows just outside the trap and a couple more leading into the trap. I have a wet dog food in a cup and threw some marshmellows on top of that. This morning all the marshmellows were gone - except for those in the cup. The couple just inside the trap were gone too! I'm by far a trapper - but I'm definitely trying to become one! They messed with the wrong hens - I'm out for revenge now.. Please if anyone can help with what I need to bait coons and bobcats I'd much appreciate it!

Dark matter, I see you have a coon in your trap. My question is - what did you use for bait in the trap? I had some hens killed and I've seen a raccoon and a bobcat in a tree by my coop.. Of course neither time did I have my gun :( Needless to say, I built me a trap and have been baiting it first with dry dog food, no luck after a few days, then wet dog food for a few more, and finally last night I dropped a few loose marshmellows just outside the trap and a couple more leading into the trap. I have a wet dog food in a cup and threw some marshmellows on top of that. This morning all the marshmellows were gone - except for those in the cup. The couple just inside the trap were gone too! I'm by far a trapper - but I'm definitely trying to become one! They messed with the wrong hens - I'm out for revenge now.. Please if anyone can help with what I need to bait coons and bobcats I'd much appreciate it!

Bait? I've used catfood, chicken scratch, food scraps, and marshhmellows with varying success. But the quickest was to puncture a sardine can and wire it to the trap where it couldn't be pawed out and the varmint had to go into the trap to get to the smell.

Last edited:
Ok thanks! I'm definitely going to try the sardine can! Ants seem tp be gorging on whatever I put out but I'm sure they don't deter the coons - do they? Hope not because in Florida ants are definitely not endangered! Any thoughts on bait for a bobcat? Or you think they like sardines as well? Thanks again - with any luck I'll be posting about some used-to-be-predators soon

22 cal, 22 Mag. is the best choice. You will not find one gun to do all of what you asked. Deer and hog gun will have to be next. I shoot a 25-06 for deer, hog, coyotes. You can make some amazing long shots with it. It is a very flat shooting gun.

So...off the subject of chickens (kind of)...for dispatching predators caught in cage, or in the act of attacking, and also because I'm ready to start doing some hunting, it's time to get a gun. Money is somewhat of an issue, and I may go walmart, or used via classifieds, but suggestions for a gun that's going to cost me 1k won't be helpful ;-)

Hunting deer would be down the road some, might require a different gun? I don't know, I'll leave that up to those of you who post. So, the main targets would be predators like coon and possum, maybe the occasional neighbor dog whose owner isn't smart enough to keep it controlled. But also turkey, wild boar...and anything else smallish in our area that I should kill and eat, LOL! Suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

For dispatching a critter in a trap, there is absolutely no better combo than a .22 caliber shooting CCI CB caps. They are quiet enough to shoot in a subdivision and your neighbors not hear it, other than thinking it is nothing more than a door slamming or someone dropping something on concrete. they are powerful enough to kill quickly and humanely, yet slow enough to not pass thru the animal and cause down range issues. I keep live traps set all year at my house for the last 30 years and that is all I use. I have never had an issue. I even dispatch hogs with them. You can usually find a cheap 22 rifle like a cricket or chipmunk, and they work perfect

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/48...imfire+-+Blasting-_-PriceCompListing-_-489754

As for hunting, you cannot go wrong with a 12ga shotgun. you can find a Remington 870 3" magnum for around $250 all day long. A couple different choke tubes and you can shoot everything from bird shot-turkey loads-buckshot- and slugs

I can't advise on guns, you've got plenty of good advice here. I just wanted to encourage you to PLEASE take an adult firearms safety course before you start shooting. I totally agree with buying a brick of .22 shells and practice, practice, practice. Have fun with whatever you choose!

Back
Top Bottom