Time for a gun...help me choose the right one?

Still think a 12 ga.is your best bet for versatility. You can always buy a slug shell for an animal in a trap. For things that the federal gov't does not want you killing buy some explosive rounds if your gun is not a prized possession. Use some double bucks for deer hunting, and leave the normal game shells for the rest.

I have a 12 ga and a 30 06 rifle. What ever you chose make sure you can shoot straight on the target unless you have lots of land and no neighbors close by. I would get the 10/22 though and then when you are ready to hunt deer or boar you should go with the 30 06 rifle.

The 12 ga will splatter shoot so the target you hit will be full of buck shot or if you hit something else that will be full of buck shot. The 10/22 is more of a right on target shot and will do less damage but keep in mind the 10/22 is considered a slow death unless you can get it right in the middle of the head.

My personal prefrences for anything deer sized and smaller is the 22/250 or the 223. I've killed a lot of deer with the 22/250 and it will easily take out anything smaller with the smaller grained bullets. I've also found that there is so little difference between the 22/250 and 223 that it wouldn't matter wich of the two you decide to get. This would be my recomendation for you if plan on hunting deer sometime in the future, this would save you from buying another gun that could kill a deer someday. The other option would a shotgun, like a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge. Both of these are great for both deer sized game and varmit sized.

Good luck!

I love my Ruger Mini 14 (223) but they are kinda pricey
The old Chinese SKS (7.62 x39 mm) is big enough to take care of all of the game you are talking about, They shoot & keep on shooting, great rifles.

They are several things to consider in a situation like this,Do you live in a rurial area where it is safe to shoot a rifle?Will you be shooting during daylight hours or after dark?How far is your nearest neighbor? A 22 slug from a 22 long rifle will travel over one mile,How much experience do you have with a firearm?Shooting someones dog and sending it home bleeding from a bullet wound is not a good idea,It could lead to a civil court case and expensive fines for animal cruelty if you can not prove the animal is a danger to your chickens.I am not saying you can,t protect your property but shooting a pet can be serious,As far as one gun for all situations is a difficult choice,almost impossible,I would go for a 22 single shot rifle and either a 12 or 20 gauge shotgun,The newer model shotguns fire the 3 inch magnum shells that will take down any four legged critter in North America,also a single shot will make you a better shot and also you will not use as much ammo and have better control of the situation,Whatever you choose take someones advise that was posted,,get training and practice,,I am a hunter with 60 years+ experience with all kinds of wild game and predators,,Good luck with your choice,

i live in kentucky and hunt when i can almost any 22 caliber will take care of coon, skunk, possum, and other small varmits they are fairly cheap to buy and shoot. you can also check out pawn shops for a single shot shotgun of almost any gauge preferably 12 guage or 20 will do the job if you are not familiar with shotguns get some help because some shotguns can shoot both buckshot and slugs as some will only shoot buckshot. as for the bigger game i like to use my weatherby 300 mag, or my ruger 7mm mag., but there are many guns that are affordable on the market at walmart or sporting good stores. bbut keep in mind to always check pawn shops if money is a concern and take someone with you that has some firearm knowledge

Personally I have a .22 for plinking, teaching my son how to hunt and gun safety, a .223 for predators and self defense, 12 gauge for bird hunting and a 30-06 for hogs and deer/big game. I understand you are limited to 1 gun because of funds. What ever gun you choose take your time and maybe go on some gun forums and ask around. If you have friends with guns shoot some of theirs and see what you like.
But MOST important, if you don't have any gun experience familiarize your self has much as possible. If possible take a gun coarse of some kind. Has mentioned before even a little .22 bullet can travel over a mile! A lot of people are unaware of how far bullets can travel and still be very dangerous.
Which ever choice you make, enjoy yourself and start saving for your next gun. It is very addictive!
smile.png

I use a 22 rifle to dispatch coons caught in live trap. I can put the barrel through the wire and shoot it right in the head causing no suffering, but relocating it to raccoon heaven. I shot three this way last June.
For shooting at a moving predator, a 20 GAGE shotgun is preferable as you don't have to be a great shot. Make sure there are no chickens or anything else in your line of fire as the shot sprays out. My husband shot at an escaping coon who killed one hen and maimed another and shot his tail off as he went over the fence. He was later identified by a lack of tail when I shot him in a live trap.
Good luck. I never thought I could kill anything until coons started attacking my coop. I love my birds. I hesitated before pulling the trigger until I thought of the carnage in my coop and knew the coon was caught 20 feet from the coop. The first was the hardest, but my girls come first.

I use a 22 rifle to dispatch coons caught in live trap. I can put the barrel through the wire and shoot it right in the head causing no suffering, but relocating it to raccoon heaven. I shot three this way last June.
For shooting at a moving predator, a 20 GAGE shotgun is preferable as you don't have to be a great shot. Make sure there are no chickens or anything else in your line of fire as the shot sprays out. My husband shot at an escaping coon who killed one hen and maimed another and shot his tail off as he went over the fence. He was later identified by a lack of tail when I shot him in a live trap.
Good luck. I never thought I could kill anything until coons started attacking my coop. I love my birds. I hesitated before pulling the trigger until I thought of the carnage in my coop and knew the coon was caught 20 feet from the coop. The first was the hardest, but my girls come first.

You go girl!
And
welcome-byc.gif

I reccomend a ruger 10/22 for small game and the deer gun well it's all up to you on that I use 20 ga 12 ga 30-06 243. 22.250 or muzzleloader it just depend on what mood I'm in
1f603.png

Back
Top Bottom