Time Management and chickens

Pics
That's hilarious! :D I'll bet she's your favorite!
Yeah, she is!
She is so funny she follows me around in the run in the mornings when I am collecting eggs and doing the feeding chores. When I am done she follows me out the gate and to the house, Then she hangs out in the front yard and has to greet every last customer who comes to buy eggs. She has a customer treat bowl outside and the customers take a little treat and hand feed it to her! She is spoiled!!
She is the White crested black polish in my profile Her name is sponge Bob.....

Regarding your statement that if I had a predator proof run I could keep the pop door open. I have fairly moderate weather here so I'm thinking maybe leaving the pop door open might work. But at the same time I thought wouldn't that lead to colder conditions inside the coop? I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?
I think you've gotten a lot of good responses to this question. Chickens are pretty cold-hardy in general, but they need to be out of the wind. Many Canadian and Northern US chicken keepers on here report temps regularly below 0F, and many don't provide heat in their coops. As long as your chicken door is situated away from prevailing winds, or with a wind block around it the temperature itself shouldn't be an issue. Since you are fairly far north I would also recommend researching cold-hardy breeds, or at least make sure you don't get chickens that really don't do well in cold.

Regarding your statement that if I had a predator proof run I could keep the pop door open. I have fairly moderate weather here so I'm thinking maybe leaving the pop door open might work. But at the same time I thought wouldn't that lead to colder conditions inside the coop? I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?
It looks like your USDA zones range from 7b to 8b. I live in zone 8a with no pop door and they're happy.

The roosts are above the door opening and below the top ventilation so they're shielded from wind. At 16 degrees F mine don't even huddle for warmth. I think you'd be fine without a pop door.

That seems like the proper thing to do. Somehow I think my hubs would say the same thing. I just can't imagine him out there helping me.

Only time I get much help is carrying feed bags to the bins....when I ask for help. Although, I admit he really likes my ducks, and will sit outside with a few beers and enjoy the chicks pecking around in the summer time. Maybe your hubs will learn to enjoy their antics too. They are much more amusing than non-chicken people think. They have their own unique language and all! :)

I have fairly moderate weather here so I'm thinking maybe leaving the pop door open might work. But at the same time I thought wouldn't that lead to colder conditions inside the coop? I know the birds roost together for warmth and they also have feathers to keep them warm so, really, what is cold or too cold for a chicken?

I used to live in your neck of the woods, even on a snowy day it really shouldn't get cold enough for inside coop temperatures to be an issue. Frozen waterers are about the worst you'll have to deal with as a result of temperature.

Use 1/2" hardware cloth for your run and window openings. It is usually cheaper online at Amazon or walmart.com. You will probably need to have electric to your coop also, to keep water from freezing. An outdoor extension cord can be used.

Back
Top Bottom