Time of day for hawks

We see them most frequently in the mid to late morning, up til about noon.

I know from experience that they also hunt a lot in the late afternoon, but I although I see them frequently around our place in the morning, they must have something else to do in the afternoons, as I never see them around past lunch.

I would not count on the above as advice, though. They're a hazard anytime there's potential food out there for them.

btw - I saw the largest Cooper's Hawk I've ever seen dive-bombing my run the other day at about noon, but the run's roofed and has hardware cloth over the "open" parts of the run, so he went away hungry.

We leave the GSD out when the chickens are out of the run and foraging, he chases off everything from blue jays to 737s.

I had a problem with them years back. Was not sure what was getting my chickens. Until I saw a hawk in the run . It was about 4 in the afternoon.

THis time around I have a top on my run.

We had one swoop down yesterday right in front of my husband and me and try to pick up one of our four week old chicks. Luckily it didn't succeed. That was at about 3:00 p.m. A couple of weeks ago around 10:00 a.m. one swooped down a few feet from me and try to grab a chicken. I threw a plastic jar of goats treats at it and it flew away. Honestly, I was only six feet away from where it landed. They are brazen Cooper's hawks. Yesterday the crows chased after it till it was out of sight.

Mary

I let my 3 week old chicks out of their enclosure to peck around as I was gathering them up for the night to bring them inside, maybe around 7:45pm or so, dusk. All chicks were within a few feet of me and a huge hawk swooped down, missed, then hovered like 2 feet from my face about to try again. I hollered and swatted at it while it dodged my swings and backed up a bit, then thankfully flew off. It didn't care at all that I was RIGHT THERE. I feel so lucky I didn't lose a chick! Lesson learned! That was only the first time ever I have let them outside of their enclosure. I figured they'd be fine since I was RIGHT THERE, but nope. I didn't see the hawk earlier than that, but who knows, maybe it had been watching for a while. I am surrounded by very tall trees and this area is heavily forested.

Back
Top Bottom