Time to decide...do I egg carton or not?

I cant get my *^%% temperature back up!
he.gif
he.gif
he.gif
I am permanently stuck at 96.3..and now that i have messed with the temperature knob I am afraid to go to bed...because knowing this incubator..or my luck.. I will be sleeping away and wake up 320 degree temperatures!
barnie.gif

Arent you scared of a chick flopping into a dixie cup? Switch it to a tall juice glass instead.

The dixie cups are under the wire screen and the shelf liner so they're safe. My f***ing window fell out of my incubater! Aaaaaaaah! Put it back. My temps are all screwed up too. It went up to 103 for a few minutes. Now its 95. Humidity still 51%. At least we have each other...
Found some pads. How long do you think I should wait to add one?

ACKK! See? I just told myself to go to bed- falling asleep at the computer, so I checked my temp and it read 102.7 at the bottom of the eggs...I told you! So, now I turned it down a TITCH, and so now I am awake-and waiting for it to go back down (probably to 96.3! again)...
barnie.gif
So, now of course I opened the darn thing to drop the temp back down and good grief, what kind of addiction is this?

You are on Day 17...wait and add the pads tomorrow, would be my guess. Why dont the hens have to worry about humidity?
edited to add:

You know, once you add water, your temp goes wacky...you may want to add it sooner- however, too much humidity makes you have sticky chicks, or drowning....so, seriously, while you are waiting anyhow, search the boards and see if you can find anything on when to add...don't trust me- look at the problems I am having...lol.

Last edited:
Aaah. It went up to 107! It was only for 3 minutes or so. Did I fry them? Aaaaah! Threw in a maxi pad. 52%. No sleep for us tonight. Good thing I took a nap today.

Nah, you didnt fry them that fast...takes longer for them to heat up on the inside than that...you know for as much as these incubators cost, why cant they make a temperature control a little easier to deal with than this 'too little/too much' stem????

Maybe Im going at this wrong...this is my second hatch, first wasnt very good 6 out of 31. (I think I stored them too cool before putting in the bator)

Anyhow, I have a Little Giant with a water tray in the bottom. Every afternoon when I turn them I make sure the water tray is full with room temp water (I dont check the humidity). I have three dozen eggs in now and all have been in cartons since day one. Its on day 13 1/2 now.

Should I not have put them in the cartons on day one. Their the cardboard ones with the bottom of each one cut out. Ive got a peice of 2x4 I rotate from side to side every 8 hours or so. My first hatch I was so afraid of dropping one when I was turning them.

AmySue-

You can use the egg carton from Day 1, many people do. I had an automatic turner for this batch, so I didn't use the carton..however, I have two incubators and one turner, so if I fill them both- I will use an egg carton all the way through.

Vamp-

I refuse to get up and go check my temperature again until 11:20...i refuse i refuse i refuse...

This place is addictive...rather, the posters here feed your addiction, lol...I started out just going to hatch some for my brother-in-law. Now, i have had a few sad hatches, purchased two chicks from Tractor Supply, have six eggs on Day 18, 12 EEs on Day 9, 10 (i think!) Silkies on Day 9, 17 Australorps on Day 1...and 6 ShowGirls, still waiting for them to ship.....

Then. I. Am. Putting. My incubator away... (yes, I am !)

Back
Top Bottom