Time to Euthanize..??.. need moral support and advice...

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
I have come to a sad realization today. As some of you know, I have a 'hoppy Jr' -one of the Barred Rock chicks I hatched out 6 wks ago. At the beginning it was only one leg affected and she was hopping around on the other leg OK.

It's apparent today that the other leg is now not working properly. She is no longer standing on the other leg and the toes are all floppy and curled up. She can still get around to the feed and water, but she's basically getting around by flapping her wings and scooting on her breastbone.

I don't see a long term quality of life for her as the others continue to get larger and larger and she lags further behind. They also seem to make a point of stepping on her - I don't know why that is...they don't peck her, thankfully but go out of their way to walk OVER her instead of around her.

Anyway, I have a few questions and need moral support here... I know this is a common question, BUT it seems to be 'different' somehow when it is ME facing this, plus I need some advice and support...

First, is there anyone who feels like euthanizing her at this point is a hasty decision - is there any hope for improvement or something else I can do for her that I've missed?

Secondly, if I have to euth her, what's the best method at this point? I will probably have to do this myself - my hubby won't help and I wouldn't ask the kids to help. I think she is too big for the scissors method - what's the most humane method that can be done by a novice person with no help? I'm a bit scared of the hatchet method -that I won't be able to hold her and get a clean cut at the same time -worst thing would be to 'miss' or just injure her and not get a clean kill.

Suggestions?? Support?? Advice??? Anyone want to come hold her for me??

I had a roo like that i held on to him for 2 months and it got bad he had to be put down
hit.gif

Arlee-sorry your facing this situation. I do think she needs to be put down. Personally, after watching how easy it was to do the hatchet method when we processed the extra roos, I would use the hatchet. If you just can't then I guess you could do like my SIL did with a kitten. She put it in a bag (so she wouldn't have to touch it afterwards) and then set it by the tire of her car and backed the car over it. Doesn't sound great but, she couldn't bring herself to actually hold the kitten and do the job that needed to be done. It was quick and over with probably before the kitten knew what was happening.

hugs.gif

You really need to be strong to do this yourself...can you be? It really takes 2 people I think. We always wrap them tightly in a towel while giving them a treat and talking sweetly so they won't get too scared. I hold and my husband shoots in the back of the head with a 22 shotgun. This is quick and works best for us. I could never do the hatchet...and I know there is a way you can sever the neck, but this looks too tricky also. You kinda have to know what you are doing.

My best wishes to you. You are making the right decision. Keeping it longer will just bring more heartbreak.

Sorry you have to do this, arlee.

A good sharp pair of kitchen shears, the kind intended to cut through bone. Snip the head off. Do it quick and try not to hesitiate and linger. It just makes it harder for everyone involved.

If the chick is larger than I am thinking use a sharp meat cleaver. I don't think you need an axe or a hatchet.

I don't find it is easier having to tell someone how to dispatch a chick than to actually do the deed.

:aww
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thanks y'all... not looking forward to this at all.

I do have a pretty sharp hatchet - maybe if I wrap her up good that would make it possible.

Although using the hatchet isn't the easiest for ME, I think it is the easiest for her - as quick as possible, so long as I don't miss the mark.

Sigh...I'll let you know how it goes.

Wasn't there a thread somewhere that talked about hooking a bucket to the tailpipe of a car, and using the carbon monoxide to put the bird permanently to sleep? That sounds like the least bloody & hands-on method...

Back
Top Bottom