Time to get a bigger feeder and waterer

Thank you. That really helps! But why are you giving them elderberry? Or hydro hen? When I was looking at them on Chewy, I thought about the metal ones but how would you know it was low? Thanks again!
I always check their water to make sure it’s full and fresh. I give mine hydro hen in the hot summer. It keeps them hydrated with electrolytes. The elderberry is a huge immune boost. Good for people and chickens. Keeps you healthy and well.

Always evaluate their coop, water and food and surroundings. At least every few days! Just to make sure they are doing good.

My neighbor locks hers up and doesn’t check on them for weeks - there was a snake in her coop that recently killed 4 chicks. Since she been my neighbor she lost about 20 chickens - all due to carelessness, neglect or ignorance. 😢😡😒
Thank you. That really helps! But why are you giving them elderberry? Or hydro hen? When I was looking at them on Chewy, I thought about the metal ones but how would you know it was low? Thanks again!

Stay away from anything metal. They all rust.
Six of one half dozen of the other. IF [big if] you are into prepping and need durable equipment the metal feeders and waterers are the way to go IMO. Plastic gets brittle after time and if you are in the great white north as I am it can get cold enough to crack the plastic.

I had one of the PVC waterers and used an aquarium heater in it during the winter but it still froze up and was a bit of a mess as well as I wondered how durable it would be over time.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 9.07.21 AM.png

So this time I went with the metal waterer and heated base. It is galvanized with the vacuum seal and from what I've read as long as you don't use acidic additives or anything it shouldn't rust and if it does what the heck just a little more molecular iron for the birds nutritional needs. And if the heated base isn't quite up to the task I can throw in a quart or so of boiling water off the wood stove every morning or 2x a day and the metal drinker should handle that no problem.

Screen Shot 2022-05-08 at 9.07.46 AM.png

I did the same thing with the feeder and got rid of the PVC one and using a metal one. They are both built very well and should hold up over time.

YMMV

My chicks are getting too big for the chick feeder and waterer I got when I bought them. I have 4 hens and 2 roosters currently. There are a lot of options for these things, size, delivery, style... What would be ideal for my small flock? Something that doesn't freeze in the winter?

Thank you!
I like the double wall galvanized, I have a 2 gallon in the coop and a 5 gallon for the outside run when I start letting them out.

Back
Top Bottom