1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Time To Process

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rccrosby, May 20, 2011.

1. rccrosby

rccrosby Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2010
    Hi all
    I have a question about when to process Cornish x's.My hubby and I got 14 of them around April 4th (TSC called and offered them to us for $.50 a piece because they were older than a week) of course my hubby couldn't say no. I understand that they are suppose to get big fast but OMG they are lil piggies.I just weighed 1 of the bigger ones today and it weighs 10lbs!Is it time to cull them or should I wait another week or two?
    Thanks

2. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    10 lbs to me would be a great weight!

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Nice job! I'd process when you have the time.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like chicken for dinner [​IMG]

5. jeancordelia

jeancordelia Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2010
    You did not say how old they are now. I used to raise them and this is what I learned. It seems that it was eight weeks, but when they are big enough. Process them and do it as quickly as possible. I could do 8 in a day. I did the roosters first, and then the hens. I generally had 25. If you can't get to it they will quickly go down in their legs. that doesn't mean that you can't still butcher them but there is a time frame to get it done. Also do not decide to buy a bag of scratch to get them through another week until you can get the job done. I did it once and they had great gobs of fat around their organs and inside. Also another note, I found that a gas barbecue with a really large kettle on it is the best way to dunk them, I could get it hot enough and keep the temperature up for each succeeding chicken. It is outside and is by far the best way that I found. (I tried several)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by