Timeline for eggs to hatch?

Chandlerharris

Songster
Jan 17, 2021
There are Four eggs under a broody hen out in my coop. One has completely hatched while the three others don’t even have pips yet. Is this normal?

Attachments

• 3AED3703-FAFE-4254-AEEA-061F327FD2AC.jpeg
    3AED3703-FAFE-4254-AEEA-061F327FD2AC.jpeg
    617.4 KB · Views: 9
Well I inspected my photo more and I see one pip I didn’t notice on the horizontal laying cream colored egg up top 😂 oops!

There are Four eggs under a broody hen out in my coop. One has completely hatched while the three others don’t even have pips yet. Is this normal?
Yes, very normal. Sometimes, whether I use an incubator or under a broody hen all eggs hatch pretty close together, sometimes they don't. Sometimes the hatch is totally over in less than 24 hours after the first egg hatches. Sometimes it drags into the third day. To avoid confusion, into the third day means maybe 50 to 60 hours after the first one hatched.
I had one incubator hatch where I had a chick hatch (totally out of the shell) but it was 24 hours before I saw the next pip. That was about bedtime. When I woke up the next morning the last 16 had hatched. I've had some hatches drag on longer than that.

Before they hatch the chick absorbs the yolk. It can live off of that yolk for 72 hours or more without eating of drinking. That's why they can be mailed. The purpose of that is so that the first chicks that hatch can wait until the later chicks hatch.

I once had a broody hatch her first chick late on a Monday. I don't know when the last one hatched but she did not bring her chicks off the nest to look for food and water until early Friday morning. All her chicks were fine. They can live off of the yolk for a long time.

Personally I leave my broody hens alone when they are hatching. I find I do less harm if I leave things up to Mama.

Congratulations on that one chick and good luck on the rest.

have you candled them to see if there's anything in them? Sometimes, its a day or more between hatches.
I just candled them about 3 days ago and all looked fully developed at that time!! How much checking is too much checking? 😂 I noticed first pip at 8:30 AM and went back out to check at about 2:30 and chick was hatched and dry! This mama hen has been flaky on the eggs so I’m just nervous in general I think.

Second chick! At what point should I move them to a flat space?

Attachments

• 739B757D-3D66-4D9E-8998-75F7C886D11F.jpeg
    739B757D-3D66-4D9E-8998-75F7C886D11F.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 3
What do you mean "a flat space"?
Sorry.. I’ve had the hen in a laundry basket. I assume I need to relocate once hatching is done? So they can have their own area with food and water, the chicks won’t be able to get in and out of the laundry basket

Sorry.. I’ve had the hen in a laundry basket. I assume I need to relocate once hatching is done? So they can have their own area with food and water, the chicks won’t be able to get in and out of the laundry basket
Yes. That makes sense. Move her once you're sure that all viable eggs have hatched. Hopefully in under 3 days since the first chick hatched.

Back
Top Bottom