Timing for starting a flock

Timing matters if you have bad or early winters. Chickens that are hatched in January will grow into maturity in June--at which point, there should be enough sun that they begin laying eggs soon, and will keep laying as winter comes around. This year, we got ours in May--and by October, only a quarter of them had begun to lay. Most still aren't laying, because they never got the sunlight to kick-start the laying process.

But I'm in PA and you're in GA. You'll have a longer summer. I would guess that your chosen starting time will be an advantage for you, because by the time you're kicking them out, there will be a lot of sun, and they'll have started laying eggs a month or two before winter sets in.

I don't want chicks before early April up here, and that's pushing it. I start them in my attached warmer garage.
For me, it's about the shipping; having chicks in the mail in either very cold or very hot weather is bad for them and increases the odds of having dead/ dying chicks arrive. Ugly!
You might be able to start a bit sooner, and if there's a good hatchery within driving distance, that's the best.
Mary

I've had very good experiences with Cackle and MurrayMcMurray; I don't know what's closer to you though. If you want a few birds, you might be able to combine an order with someone nearby; check your state thread here.
I'd recommend getting the Marek's disease vaccine for them; it's inexpensive and might pay off for them someday.
The local feed stores will likely be selling chicks fairly soon; they won't be vaccinated, and the breed selection won't be huge, but it's not a bad way to start either.
I usually weaken and get a few from TSC every year too.:oops:
Mary

So I finished the foundation to the coop today. Thank god!! I need to buy some stock in an ibuprofen company. Other good news is that a local farm finally contacted me back and said they could get all the birds I'm looking for with the Marek's vaccine and a month earlier AND for almost half the cost that I was quoted from a shipping hatchery.
Winner, Winner, chicken dinner!

I have reached out to several local farms, hatcheries and individuals because I would rather buy locally. Two of two farms have not contacted me back, 1 of three hatcheries has not contacted back and the two that did do not sex their birds and the individuals I've spoken with have been very helpful but timing is the issue.

This being my first go at chickens I would like them to be social for us as I'm sure that makes it more enjoyable.

It really seems like the mail order hatchery is the way to go (at least for me) because you get what you want, when you want. Hopefully the sexing turns out well but nothing is guaranteed.

I have reached out to several local farms, hatcheries and individuals because I would rather buy locally. Two of two farms have not contacted me back, 1 of three hatcheries has not contacted back and the two that did do not sex their birds and the individuals I've spoken with have been very helpful but timing is the issue.

This being my first go at chickens I would like them to be social for us as I'm sure that makes it more enjoyable.

It really seems like the mail order hatchery is the way to go (at least for me) because you get what you want, when you want. Hopefully the sexing turns out well but nothing is guaranteed.

Welcome! You're in for a fun ride! Unsolicited advice: Get your coop ready before you get your chicks. Then you can brood them right in the coop instead of in your home. This will avoid all the chick dander. (fine silty oily dust that settles on all surfaces including vertical ones!) That dander is hard on the lungs, not to mention makes housekeeping a real chore! The easiest way to brood chicks is with a Mother Heating Pad cave system. @Blooie is the MHP queen. There is an article and a thread about this system in her signature. MHP is much safer and a more natural way to brood chicks than a heat lamp. IMO, chicks who are brooded with MHP are more socially well adjusted.

Make your coop plenty big enough. Recommendation for back yard flock is 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. Walk in style coops are much easier to manage. Lots of natural lighting, and ventilation (at least 1 s.f./bird is recommended) will help make your coop safe for them year round. Predator proofing: Use 1/2" welded hardware cloth to cover all openings. In your climate, you could easily have a combo coop, with 3 solid walls, and a front wall that is completely open. Check out the Wood's style coop, which excels in all climates, even my snow and ice region!

Breed choice: Check out Henderson's chicken breed's chart. Got kids? Gotta have an Easter Egger. Choose breeds that have a reputation for being docile and doing well in confinement.

Sweet. Perfect hobby for some father/son bonding. You can be teaching him and mentoring him, and he'll never even know that he's learning. He'll just be enjoying. are you planning to make your own coop? Yet an other teaching opportunity for him!!! Glad you placed an advance order. What breeds? How many?
I am building my own coop. Right now setting the foundation blocks for a level structure. It is kicking my butt...well back really! I can't wait to start working with wood instead of concrete blocks and moving dirt. It will be a 6'x 13' overall with a 4'x 6' elevated henhouse with a single pitch sloped roof. Pretty typical of many coops.
I have ordered 1 female each of Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer and an Easter Egger all with the Mareks vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom