Timing for starting a flock

I have reached out to several local farms, hatcheries and individuals because I would rather buy locally. Two of two farms have not contacted me back, 1 of three hatcheries has not contacted back and the two that did do not sex their birds and the individuals I've spoken with have been very helpful but timing is the issue.

This being my first go at chickens I would like them to be social for us as I'm sure that makes it more enjoyable.

It really seems like the mail order hatchery is the way to go (at least for me) because you get what you want, when you want. Hopefully the sexing turns out well but nothing is guaranteed.

Welcome! You're in for a fun ride! Unsolicited advice: Get your coop ready before you get your chicks. Then you can brood them right in the coop instead of in your home. This will avoid all the chick dander. (fine silty oily dust that settles on all surfaces including vertical ones!) That dander is hard on the lungs, not to mention makes housekeeping a real chore! The easiest way to brood chicks is with a Mother Heating Pad cave system. @Blooie is the MHP queen. There is an article and a thread about this system in her signature. MHP is much safer and a more natural way to brood chicks than a heat lamp. IMO, chicks who are brooded with MHP are more socially well adjusted.

Make your coop plenty big enough. Recommendation for back yard flock is 4 s.f. in coop and 10 s.f. in run per bird. Walk in style coops are much easier to manage. Lots of natural lighting, and ventilation (at least 1 s.f./bird is recommended) will help make your coop safe for them year round. Predator proofing: Use 1/2" welded hardware cloth to cover all openings. In your climate, you could easily have a combo coop, with 3 solid walls, and a front wall that is completely open. Check out the Wood's style coop, which excels in all climates, even my snow and ice region!

Breed choice: Check out Henderson's chicken breed's chart. Got kids? Gotta have an Easter Egger. Choose breeds that have a reputation for being docile and doing well in confinement.

Lots of good input folks! Thank you so much!

We have a 10 yr old boy and he's excited to get started too. The earliest I could get birds would be the last week of Feb due to an already planned trip with my wife.
The problem I'm seeing is each feed store will have different birds and no one seems to know what they will have until they get them...and I can't count on that. So I've put in an order with Meyer to lock in a date which unfortunately is a little later than I was anticipating but is still better than if I wait until I get back from my trip and find out the local places don't have what I want. Just trying to be proactive.

I have reached out to several local farms, hatcheries and individuals because I would rather buy locally. Two of two farms have not contacted me back, 1 of three hatcheries has not contacted back and the two that did do not sex their birds and the individuals I've spoken with have been very helpful but timing is the issue.

This being my first go at chickens I would like them to be social for us as I'm sure that makes it more enjoyable.

It really seems like the mail order hatchery is the way to go (at least for me) because you get what you want, when you want. Hopefully the sexing turns out well but nothing is guaranteed.

I have found really great luck with Craigslist in my area. I have looked for specific breeds or just general term of chicken. Found to great chick sources. Both were in the country one was a serious hobbyist starting to make her own chicks. The other was a person starting a sustainable farm type business as a second job and gets his day old locally and uses a local new farmer for in state non-GMO feed. What I liked about this is I could get some nice breeds even a rare one (Cream Legbar) without the extreme price - just get two at a time so I wasn't two overwhelmed with having all at once - and I got to check out the establishment and see their stock and how they are kept before I had to decide to buy. One was in state and the other a neighboring state. Neither of the locations were over 1.5 hours drive and I still saved in cost of gas versus the very expensive shipping costs of a hatchery. Good luck! I just got my last two and have now finished off my backyard flock of six chickens.

Sweet. Perfect hobby for some father/son bonding. You can be teaching him and mentoring him, and he'll never even know that he's learning. He'll just be enjoying. are you planning to make your own coop? Yet an other teaching opportunity for him!!! Glad you placed an advance order. What breeds? How many?

Sweet. Perfect hobby for some father/son bonding. You can be teaching him and mentoring him, and he'll never even know that he's learning. He'll just be enjoying. are you planning to make your own coop? Yet an other teaching opportunity for him!!! Glad you placed an advance order. What breeds? How many?
I am building my own coop. Right now setting the foundation blocks for a level structure. It is kicking my butt...well back really! I can't wait to start working with wood instead of concrete blocks and moving dirt. It will be a 6'x 13' overall with a 4'x 6' elevated henhouse with a single pitch sloped roof. Pretty typical of many coops.
I have ordered 1 female each of Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer and an Easter Egger all with the Mareks vaccine.

I am building my own coop. Right now setting the foundation blocks for a level structure. It is kicking my butt...well back really! I can't wait to start working with wood instead of concrete blocks and moving dirt. It will be a 6'x 13' overall with a 4'x 6' elevated henhouse with a single pitch sloped roof. Pretty typical of many coops.
I have ordered 1 female each of Barred Rock, Speckled Sussex, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Welsummer and an Easter Egger all with the Mareks vaccine.

Yep, ground work is the most difficult, frustrating, and time consuming part of the project. A build that I thought naively would take several weekends ended up taking 10 weekends!

Back
Top Bottom